You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

What to do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5143 Times on 2939 Posts
Likes Given: 8548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
There is another side to that. My wife and I have always put our incomes into a single pot. We have never had "my" money and "your" money. About 35 or 40 years ago, I quit handling the financial affairs and she started keeping the books. It was a liberating experience, and she has done a great job. So, now, if I want to add to the collection, I do ask if the current finances will support my purchase without balling up the savings program or make us have to scrimp for a week. We were dirt poor when we were first married and did a lot of scrimping, and it is something I don't miss.

It is a matter of complete trust. It is not a "permission" issue as much as I just don't have a clue where my money is on any given day. Once it disappears into savings, it is gone, and may as well be forgotten.

I keep very detailed records of my firearms, and update the current values, yearly. My guns are an investment as much as my 401K, and have accrued value at faster, and more stable, rate than most of my more conventional investments. My wife knows this and she is good with it. Once I go to my just (or unjust) reward, or am back to wearing a diaper, she is going to be a happy Gunbroker frequent flyer.
you are correct, it is about trust. the wife and i put our priorities, of needs vs. wants in proper order. our needs are first in order of needing to be taken care of as far as the money goes.

part of where my gun money comes from, is from projects i accumulate to fund buying guns, or other projects, that i use to make more gun money. very, very seldom do i pull money from the common fund to buy guns. i have more than plenty of guns, so i don't get into any real big hurry of wanting too much these days. even if i cut my collection down by more than 80%, i would still have more than enough for my needs, and still plenty to enjoy. anything i buy now is really more of want, than need. and as long as i still enjoy guns, there is always still that desire of wanting another one!

and that comes back to trust. that is one thing about my wife, is that i do trust her without any reservations or hesitation. if you don't have trust in your spouse, then you have nothing IMO.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
Balota Likes This