Originally Posted by purehavoc
Just asking because I normally shoot from around 30-60 ft depending on the handgun . Whats the usual standard procedure out there ?
Across the country, havoc, I would be surprised if there was a "usual standard procedure", but I think your 10-20 yards is in the ball park from those who have already posted.
As already pointed out, it depends a lot on what type of shooting you are doing. If you are working on your marksmanship skills it is probably more important what size and shape your target is, than the distance to target. If you are working on your defensive skills, there is another element in the marksmanship skill you need in addition to the type/size of target and distance to target, and that is time on target/time on hit.
Many of the shooters I observe shooting at 3 yards at a full size silhouette target are happy with 3-5" groups somewhere around COM with no time limits. This is actually a good start, but certainly nothing to remain satisfied with if they are practicing or training to improve.
Although schools and instructors can run almost any qualification for the Arizona CCW course, it must include the minimum of 5 rounds at 5 yards, and 5 rounds at 10 yards. In the past the AZ-POST minimum handgun daylight qualification included 3, 7, 15, and 25 yards (with 50 yards being used by the AGFD). Although I think recently AZ-POST may have made minor changes.
During our Level-II Handgun (somewhere around 15 hours of training), we offer an opportunity for students to try out 100 yards. All of them are amazed at the accuracy of their handguns at what to most would appear an extreme distance. During advance training we often will stretch that distance another 100 yards and sometimes even farther. However, that is balanced with muzzle to target (zero distance) and a whole lot of 2-15 yard distances.
Shooting and hitting at longer distances (50-200 yards) is no doubt a confidence builder, but it does bring up the practicality issue. Myself, I work on getting time on target/time on hit, face target (about 2" size target area) out to 15 yards, during 25% of my training, with the other 75% spent attempting to get a hit in any vital area of the face/upper chest, while moving, at multiple silhouette treats of varying exposure, and from various positions, with and without both feet, both hands, both eyes. I will use maybe 5% every other sessions, to work on long distance and maximum short distance accuracy.