At what distance do you mainly practice at - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > At what distance do you mainly practice at

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7194 Times on 4329 Posts
Likes Given: 8772

For self defense practice, I shoot at 7 yards. For fun and skill practice, I shoot at 25 or 50 yards.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #12

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I shoot at mainly 20 yards with my revolver but for self defense I shoot at 10-15ft depending on the setup or my mood.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 10-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDbeej View Post
I start at 2 yards for 3 magazines (51 rounds) then a couple mags at 4 yards.
That's funny, but I was in the lane next to an idiot actually doing that. He had brought his girlfriend and that was as far away as she could hit the target. After the third time I took a hit in the face from target blowback I told him to move the effing target.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
Does anyone participate in a practical pistol league? The woman at the gun range keeps inviting me and my dad to try it out sometime. One of the customers heard her and said, "Yeah, we need someone new to show us old guys up." They seem like a friendly group; I just don't know a whole lot about it or what to expect. And I would have to get some more magazines first.
Try it, you'll like it. I miss my days of competing.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 1245

Any where from 5 to 25 yds.

When all else fails.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Range practice/shooting is .5-25 yds (1.5-75 ft) with any handgun. Any thing over that distance becomes rifle territory for me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

7-15 yards for me. I'm a "newb" pistol shooter.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

One Inch -to- One Hundred Yards......that's where all the bad stuff happens.

I do all my OH S*** drills from muzzle distance to about 5 yards, then move out from there.

I usually begin and finish a range session with pure back to basics bullseye (with a .22 pistol and my carry gun), just to keep the fundamentals in line and to "warm up, then cool down".

Then I move my targets around, do El Prez drills, retention drills, shoot and scoot, you name it.

I shoot steel (USPSA) every Tuesday and Thursday, and IDPA at least two Sundays per month.

Keeps the Dillon a hummin'

Old 10-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #19

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Not much of a pistol guy but do practice alot with rifle between 100 and 1000 yards. Most of the last 20 years I've shot at 100 yards with rifle.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Just asking because I normally shoot from around 30-60 ft depending on the handgun . Whats the usual standard procedure out there ?
Across the country, havoc, I would be surprised if there was a "usual standard procedure", but I think your 10-20 yards is in the ball park from those who have already posted.

As already pointed out, it depends a lot on what type of shooting you are doing. If you are working on your marksmanship skills it is probably more important what size and shape your target is, than the distance to target. If you are working on your defensive skills, there is another element in the marksmanship skill you need in addition to the type/size of target and distance to target, and that is time on target/time on hit.

Many of the shooters I observe shooting at 3 yards at a full size silhouette target are happy with 3-5" groups somewhere around COM with no time limits. This is actually a good start, but certainly nothing to remain satisfied with if they are practicing or training to improve.

Although schools and instructors can run almost any qualification for the Arizona CCW course, it must include the minimum of 5 rounds at 5 yards, and 5 rounds at 10 yards. In the past the AZ-POST minimum handgun daylight qualification included 3, 7, 15, and 25 yards (with 50 yards being used by the AGFD). Although I think recently AZ-POST may have made minor changes.

During our Level-II Handgun (somewhere around 15 hours of training), we offer an opportunity for students to try out 100 yards. All of them are amazed at the accuracy of their handguns at what to most would appear an extreme distance. During advance training we often will stretch that distance another 100 yards and sometimes even farther. However, that is balanced with muzzle to target (zero distance) and a whole lot of 2-15 yard distances.

Shooting and hitting at longer distances (50-200 yards) is no doubt a confidence builder, but it does bring up the practicality issue. Myself, I work on getting time on target/time on hit, face target (about 2" size target area) out to 15 yards, during 25% of my training, with the other 75% spent attempting to get a hit in any vital area of the face/upper chest, while moving, at multiple silhouette treats of varying exposure, and from various positions, with and without both feet, both hands, both eyes. I will use maybe 5% every other sessions, to work on long distance and maximum short distance accuracy.