what caliber
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > what caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what caliber

I am looking for a handgun don't know what caliber to get ouuther thain 22 that is resonable to shoot. And could offfer some stopnng power
I can almost say I. Could not. Conciel carry I woulld if I could but my stupid. State dosent make it easy
Someday I might moove from it and what state is guun friendly handgun lots of open country and land is resonable price

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

well if your looking mainly for a range gun the cheapest would probably be a
9mm. However, if thats too light for your tastes you could step up to the 40 S&W. Where I live the price difference between 100 rnds of 9mm and 100 rounds of 40S&W is three dollars so you get more knockdown power for not much more money. Before you buy go to the range a few times and just rent guns of different calibers. This will also make you familiar with different types of guns and can point you in the right direction if you are unsure of what type of gun you are looking for. There are lots to choose and there really aren't any bad choices just different strokes for different folks.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2231 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

.22 is by far the least expensive way to shoot, ensuring you shoot more, shoot often, and gain proficiency. But as you noted, there is not a lot of stopping power in a .22lr

9mm is the least expensive of the "major" calibers, and will typically offer the the stopping power needed for a self-defense round.

Personally, I prefer the .40 caliber. As noted before, you get more punch for not much increase in cost. Some people do complain that the .40 can be a little too snappy, but it's never bothered me.

Then there is the .45, .44, .357, 10mm, etc, etc, etc.

Here's my recommendation... anticipate you will purchase two handguns in the first year if at all possible. One will be .22lr which allows for lots of shooting and fun. The other is going to be a major caliber that will be better for self-defense.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Starting with a 22lr is always a good idea. Then you can move on to a more formidable round.

I'd recommend:

9mm- Adequate defense round. Affordable to shoot and manageable recoil, variety of platforms available.

Worth your consideration:

40sw- Good defense round. Costs 30-40% more than 9mm, recoil is manageable but snappy.
38sp- Revolver round. Similar to 9mm in performance, 40sw in cost.
357mag- Great defense round, and can fire more affordable 38sp for practice.
45acp- Outstanding defense round, but expense makes for a less ideal learning platform.

Don't get:

380acp- Has it's place, but that's almost exclusively as a carry round. Also expensive.
357sig, 45gap, 44mag, 10mm- These are very effective rounds. They're also expensive and impractical for a new shooter.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #5

like college kid said, go to a range and rent different guns and note all the info and research the guns. see how the gun suits you. don't do like i normally do and just buy one cuz i like it, i usually wind up not liking it after all because it doesn't fit me. a gun should be like a part of your hand in stead of like my self having to try to deal with the discomfort. this will play a big factor in your decision. also think about how this weapon will be serving you. over penetration is a big issue with several of these calibers in certain situations. good luck and let us know what you decide or when you get it.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I would have to agree with getting both a .22 and a 9mm. The .22 is cheap to shoot, and it isn't just for beginners. I take a .22 on every range trip, along with something larger (9mm, .40, .38 Spl., .45). That way I can get a lot more trigger time for my money.

The 9mm is the cheapest of the personal defense calibers to shoot. There are lots of options for both target and defense rounds. And you can find a 9mm version of any popular platform, so if you find a gun that you like, it's a safe bet someone makes a 9mm version of it.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 08-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbirdguy View Post
I am looking for a handgun don't know what caliber to get ouuther thain 22 that is resonable to shoot. And could offfer some stopnng power
I can almost say I. Could not. Conciel carry I woulld if I could but my stupid. State dosent make it easy
Someday I might moove from it and what state is guun friendly handgun lots of open country and land is resonable price
All I can say is 45ACP!

Old 08-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #8

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The "King of Nines"

The Browning Hi Power;

Solid, vintage, John Moses Browning brilliance in a 15+1 9mm equalizer.

I love my .45 ACP 1911 but this BHP deserves a look, read my siggy below.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #9

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I think it's pretty obvious what you should get... I'll be expecting to see pictures of your new Hi-Power tomorrow

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The nature of your question tells us that you have not a lot of shooting experience. For this reason it would be a good idea to check out a pistol course at a range that has a qualified instructor. Weather or not you do that while you are there see if they rent out some pistols. That way you can get an idea what is the best fit for you in both caliber and weapon platform. Most newer shooter go with a 9mm because it is a decent defense round,ammo is a little cheaper so that can transfer to more trigger time. and as felt recoil goes it's not much to have to deal with. Any weapon from 9mm up will work well as a defense weapon. Modern production ammo what it is these days you are not "under powered". A good hollow point and quality shot placement and the threat will usually fall over. That's why I don't hold much an opinion about things like stopping/knockdown power or capacity. I carry a 45 with 8+1 most the time. But I also have a couple 40's and have carried 9mm too. With the 45 I don't worry about the lower capacity and I have no worries about the 40 being not stout enough. I don't have a 9mm that I can carry these days but I wouldn't have a problem carrying one with good SD ammo.

The most important thing is a weapon that fits you and a round in it that you use best. A lot of people that will never fire your weapon can say get this or you need that but they are not you. They wont be using your weapon. It's important to find the right fit for you. It's great to get input from people with more experience. This can help you a great deal in helping you narrow your search to the best quality weapon for the money you have to spend. Just make sure it's you that makes the final decision.

The Browning HP is a fantastic weapon. If you go looking for a 9mm it's one you will really want to check out if you get the chance. Sig Sauer also makes some really good ones. The FNP pistols are really good if poly is your flavor. If you want a striker fired weapon Springer XD-XDm is great. As is S&W M&P. And we can't forget Glock. I personally do not like striker fired weapons but there are a lot made and sold. So they must be doing something right. A lot of people I'm seeing are getting CZ's these days. They are worth looking At.

Dang this got longer than I intended. I really need to learn to not be so long winded

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson