What ammo do you suggest??? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What ammo do you suggest???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterMcJJ View Post
Hello ares0290, and welcome to the firearmstalk forum! You'll have to just ignore the first reply you received. You asked an honest question and didn't deserve to get a smart-assed admonishment in response because someone was itching to find fault with someone's question. So, instead of unhelpful, waste of time response you received earlier....I'll try to help steer you in the right direction for your question...
You're kidding, right? We don't even know whether it is a revolver or pistol, which would have a large bearing on what we recommend. Did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #22

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post

For anyone interested in ballistics tests for various calibers and manufactures, look up tnoutdoors9 on YouTube. He's excellent and very thorough.
Thank you very much!

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #23

Sorry for such narrow question. I have a 9mm betters 92fs

Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #24

And thank you all so much for the suggestions and insight on what ammo to choose. And no I didn't have the luxury of a holiday in I drive truck so I stayed in a shabby hotel last night wich is a lot beetwr than just sleeping in the cab.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares0290 View Post
Sorry for such narrow question. I have a 9mm betters 92fs
For 9mm I strongly recommend staying away from FMJ for defense. Ovrrpenetraton is a real concern with that caliber, especially in a full size service pistol like yours.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #26

So what would the other options be? I know that sense the barrel of my 92 is rifled it can shoot lead, but I've never went there with it because of the fact that its lead. Or am I over thinking it?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares0290 View Post
So what would the other options be? I know that sense the barrel of my 92 is rifled it can shoot lead, but I've never went there with it because of the fact that its lead. Or am I over thinking it?
I wouldn't consider lead in anything but a revolver, but that may be just me. My thoughts are that lead can create feed problems if the nose of the bullet gets scarred or misshapen. I would go with a jacketed hollow point that you have well tested with your particular firearm. Personally I prefer something a little on the heavy side, around 125 gr, but from what I read most people prefer something in the 110 gr class. Go with what works for you that gives you the best reliability you can get.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

I run hornady critical defense 115 grain in my m9 for ccw.

Plinking its either lead bullets in 115 grain or copper plated in 115grain. Clean after use. Beretta uses chromed bore and chamber so they are easy easy easy to clean. And will feed and use steel cased ammo just fine for plinking.

The m9 was designed to run 115grain fmj but it will feed pretty much anything in the 9mm line up without issues.

Ive got just the opposite opinion of doc on using lead in revolvers in some calibers. In my cowboy guns i run softlead at lower velocity for shooting steel. It doesnt generate enough energy to lead up the throat and cylinder face. But i only use copper jacket in my python.

Lead works just fine in 9mm some experimentation is needed to find the proper hardness if your casting your own to reduce leading but off the shelf lead ammo works just fine as they did the experimenting decades ago.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-14-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Lead works just fine in 9mm some experimentation is needed to find the proper hardness if your casting your own to reduce leading but off the shelf lead ammo works just fine as they did the experimenting decades ago.
I agree. I reload for plinking. My current bullets are lead, off the shelf. They have given no problems for plinking in my M&P9.

For self defense, definitely find something in jacketed hollow point. In all honesty, just about any 9mm JHP ammo you can find at a store will be sufficient for you until you can test some different manufacturers for yourself and decide on your favorite. Your Beretta will more than likely feed them all reliably. That being said, when you buy some self defense ammo, definitely run a few shots thru the gun, just to make sure.

Did you buy your Beretta new or used? If new, run a couple hundred FMJ rounds thru it at a range to break it in before you trust it 100%, if you can.

Sorry about any typos. I'm on my phone right now.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #30

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Since you drive truck you just may be able to find ranges along your travels. Lead would be fine for you, just bring your gun cleaning kit along. the lead build up will give you something to do when sitting in your motel room.