Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What ammo do you suggest???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterMcJJ View Post
Hello ares0290, and welcome to the firearmstalk forum! You'll have to just ignore the first reply you received. You asked an honest question and didn't deserve to get a smart-assed admonishment in response because someone was itching to find fault with someone's question. So, instead of unhelpful, waste of time response you received earlier....I'll try to help steer you in the right direction for your question...
Not exactly "smart-assed" questions. They seemed directive in nature to try to have a better idea of better specific info to give.

Some folks may have guns that are known to be finicky feeders with certain ammo. Certain calibers may not have adequate penetration with certain loads.

Snub nosed guns may do better with certain loads over loads intended for service sized guns.

Environment can be a factor depending on the type of clothing one may encounter.

I like Speer Gold Dot short barrel loads for my .380, but prefer 127gr +P Winchester ranger loads in 9mm, then back to Gold Dots for .45.

So, asking for additional data should not automatically brand someone as a smart ass. If I had to pick I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 05-13-2013 at 11:44 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #12

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Nothing wrong with what you are using as long as it works in the pistol you're using.I have bought PDXI and found Ranger bonded to give the same performance at a lower price.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #13

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

This is a thread I an extremely interested in...it was noted that there are a lot articles/sites available on this subject Matter..and I am sure there are...but can anyone offer any good sites/articles online from sources they trust. You can find lots of info.on the net..but what is based on fact and fiction blur a bit on the interweb...to the uneducated eye.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve
This is a thread I an extremely interested in...it was noted that there are a lot articles/sites available on this subject Matter..and I am sure there are...but can anyone offer any good sites/articles online from sources they trust. You can find lots of info.on the net..but what is based on fact and fiction blur a bit on the interweb...to the uneducated eye.
For anyone interested in ballistics tests for various calibers and manufactures, look up tnoutdoors9 on YouTube. He's excellent and very thorough.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #15

Liked 264 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares0290 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to the handgun world and am a licenced carrier, but I'm not sure what ammo would be the best for protection use. Any ideas?
Hey ares. The question about the instructor was a good one. It's usually covered in CCW class, along with firearm training. The caliber of gun may dictate your choice of ammo also. Smaller calibers need a more aggressive bullet to provide effectiveness. You can also ask around at the gun shops. I carry a .380 and for self defense a hollow point type is the best. Your proficiency with the gun will make any ammo more effective. Whatever you carry...practice, practice, practice. And I do not think those were smart assed questions. An example of a smart ass question is why are you carrying without knowing what kind of ammo to carry.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #16

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I think horniday makes the best ammo out there. The only ammo I carry is critical defense

Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #17

Liked 264 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I think horniday makes the best ammo out there. The only ammo I carry is critical defense
Yep....I couldn't think of it during my post.....my mind drew a blank....it's tough getting old......

Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #18

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Honestly, anything you can find right now.
Normally I carry JHP, but screw over penetration, just buy what's cheapest and feeds.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92
I use Critical Duty in 9mm. I was lucky enough to find a box for about $25 a couple months ago. I felt like that was a very reasonable price for a box of high quality self defense rounds (25 count), in the current market.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #20

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm

I use Critical Duty in 9mm. I was lucky enough to find a box for about $25 a couple months ago. I felt like that was a very reasonable price for a box of high quality self defense rounds (25 count), in the current market.
When your life is on the line, cost is the least of your worries