What ammo do you suggest???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What ammo do you suggest???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What ammo do you suggest???

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to the handgun world and am a licenced carrier, but I'm not sure what ammo would be the best for protection use. Any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

What was recommended by your instructor when you went through the class?

But then, you ask what ammo is best without providing us in more info.

What caliber?
What type of gun?
During cold weather when more clothes are worn? Or warm weather?

So many questions could be asked just in answering your question.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares0290 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to the handgun world and am a licenced carrier, but I'm not sure what ammo would be the best for protection use. Any ideas?

Hello ares0290, and welcome to the firearmstalk forum! You'll have to just ignore the first reply you received. You asked an honest question and didn't deserve to get a smart-assed admonishment in response because someone was itching to find fault with someone's question. So, instead of unhelpful, waste of time response you received earlier....I'll try to help steer you in the right direction for your question...

There have been a few new self defense ammo offerings brought to market recently. Hornady critical defense is probably the most publicized one. In addition to Hornady's new defense ammo, you'll find that Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, and Federal HST are examples of typical factory loads you'll find to be recommended by other shooters for defensive purposes.

I've also seen recommendations for using lead semi-wad cutter hollow points, as well as full wad cutter slugs because of their expansion. However, the one caution I've seen over and over is to avoid ball ammo (aka FMJ's) because of their propensity to over pentrate by going into and through the bad guy and thereby create a hazard for innocent bystanders.

An important piece of advice I was given long ago is that we are responsible for every round that exits the barrel of our firearms, regardless of whether it is fired for defensive purposes. If you shoot the bad guy who was about to shoot you or someone else and your bullet goes through him and into someone minding his own business across the street, then you've done wrong and are going to be in big trouble. So for defensive purposes, you therefore should try to stick with a round that will rapidly expand and not over penetrate your intended target.

There are several good articles on the internet about this subject. Doing a yahoo or google search for "defense ammo" and similar keywords should help you find much more detailed information than what anyone could provide you in a single response to a forum posting.

I hope this at least helps to steer you in the right direction.

p.s. There is also a cable tv show on either the Sportsman Channel or Outdoor Channel that is doing a continuing series on ammo comparison testing for self defense. I might be mistaken, but I believe it is called Shooting Gallery and airs on Wednesday evenings.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 545 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Quote:
However, the one caution I've seen over and over is to avoid ball ammo (aka FMJ's) because of their propensity to over pentrate by going into and through the bad guy and thereby create a hazard for innocent bystanders.
I see this all the time are there examples of FMJ over penetration being as big a problem that a lot of people seem to think. I would have no problem using FMJ for self defence, it is irrelevant here as FMJ is all that is permitted for self defence.

Quote:
9mm? Most "ball" ammo will over penetrate and be ineffective if not placed properly.
A example of what I was talking about are there any incidents someone can post as a example. Just wondering as I see this all the time.

Last edited by manta; 05-13-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I use Mag Tech hollow points for my 9mm and .40 S&W. High quality ammo with excellent spread on impact. Not sure if offered stateside though.

http://www.frankonia.de/search.html?pagingSize=32&sortOption=f_n_sortmatri x_0_70_30_50&page=0&displayType=gallery&query=Magt ech&navCategoryId=6811

Last edited by Jagermeister; 05-13-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I see this all the time are there examples of FMJ over penetration being as big a problem that a lot of people seem to think. I would have no problem using FMJ for self defence, it is irrelevant here as FMJ is all that is permitted for self defence.
No hollow points? I did not know that.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 545 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Quote:
No hollow points? I did not know that.
Largest calibre 9mm FMJ. So they must think its adequate and they have had plenty of experience of shootings here.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

I was trying to find out more info to provide a good answer.

Some ammunition (.357 magnum for example) is great with hollow points.
Some ammunition (.22lr or .38 Special for example) is not even good with hollow points if being used in self defense.
Some ammuniton (.45 ACP) would work with hollow points or semi-wad cutter.
Using a .380 ACP? Look at CorBon.
9mm? Most "ball" ammo will over penetrate and be ineffective if not placed properly.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think everyone covered type of ammo..BUT, if you don't have a firearm yet and you're asking about caliber then another discussion is needed. First off, availability...with so many 9 mm weapons out there and the general lack of availability of 9 mm ammo it may be wise to go with 40 or 45 which has much better availability as well as stopping power. If you intend to conceal though larger calibers tend to be heavier and bulkier. In the smaller weapons .380 is a reasonable trade off for size vs weight but accuracy generally suffers with the smaller guns. Bottom line you've got as many options as there are opinions.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #10

Well for my .40 m&p. For target/plinking/practice ammo, I only use Winchester 165gr and American Eagle 155gr FMJ. For home defense/street defense, I only use Hornady Critical Duty 175gr and Winchester PDX1 165 gr or 180 gr. Just what you like is the best ammo though.