What am I doing wrong? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What am I doing wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

I'm working on working out the same issue. Low and left. Until I shoot about 3 mags. Then I'm better. Here is a pic of my first mag at the rang the other week. See? Low and left. It took a couple of try's to work it out. I'm new to shooting as well. It could be the gun doesn't fit you. I shot my friends XDM 9mm and didn't have that problem. Also my M&P is a 40.

image-3117979955.jpg  

Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #22

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Wouldn't an adjustment of the rear sight and lower bead on front when aiming be the simple solution?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Wouldn't an adjustment of the rear sight and lower bead on front when aiming be the simple solution?
Sure, if you're content with sloppy technique. The problem won't go away by adjusting the sights, even though it may bring the shots from this gun on target. What happens if he ever decides to go with a fixed sights gun? It's easier to unlearn bad habits early on than it is to try to correct them after years of shooting.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

Sure, if you're content with sloppy technique. The problem won't go away by adjusting the sights, even though it may bring the shots from this gun on target. What happens if he ever decides to go with a fixed sights gun? It's easier to unlearn bad habits early on than it is to try to correct them after years of shooting.
That can go both ways... What if the sights are adjusted poorly to begin with? Just saying, I think that should always be the first suggestion, to align the sights.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #25

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvia View Post
I'm working on working out the same issue. Low and left. Until I shoot about 3 mags. Then I'm better. Here is a pic of my first mag at the rang the other week. See? Low and left. It took a couple of try's to work it out. I'm new to shooting as well. It could be the gun doesn't fit you. I shot my friends XDM 9mm and didn't have that problem. Also my M&P is a 40.
You have about as many centered but low as you do to the left-
Mabe it just you "site picture"

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3041 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I took my new M&P9 VTAC to the range today and had a blast. 350 rounds in 30 minutes. No Failures.
My question is what am I doing to cause my shots to go low left? Around 7:30 of my POA.
I am the only gun owner in my family and I have never had proper instruction.
Thanks for any advice.
(This is assuming my gun is fine. I was always told its not the arrow. It's the Indian.)
Dude! 350 rds in 30 minutes? Holy crap!
1. Slow Down! It's not a game to see how fast you can burn through ammo. It will get really expensive and you will still be missing a lot. Another option: join the military and see about being a machine gunner.
2. Slow down. Concentrate on squeezing the trigger.
3. Slow down. Focus on the front sight. Ensure proper sight picture. Proceed to step number 2.
Note: If the term "proper sight picture" is meaningless to you, seek out instruction.
4. Concentrate on shooting well. Fast will follow on it's own, eventually. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
5. Consider seeking out a NRA Basic pistol class. http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I would think that 350 rounds of anything other than a 22 in 30 minutes would make your hands shake and flench. Did your fingers hurt from reloading mags?
I was wondering the same thing.
NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 12-08-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #27

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk
I took my new M&P9 VTAC to the range today and had a blast. 350 rounds in 30 minutes. No Failures.

My question is what am I doing to cause my shots to go low left? Around 7:30 of my POA.

I am the only gun owner in my family and I have never had proper instruction.

Thanks for any advice.

(This is assuming my gun is fine. I was always told its not the arrow. It's the Indian.)
I think it has to do with your hand position. If your right handed use your right hand just for squeezing the trigger and the left to hold the pistol. You want to havr your right thumb ride high in the pistol and the left to sit right in the grove of your right thumb with your left thumb pointing parallel with the barrel.
With targeting dont focus on the target, focus in your front dot as if your reading a book. Line it up with the back sights and over the target.
Stance- you want to have your feet shoulder width apart and lean forward into the gun for better control.
Another thing that helps is pulling the slack out if the trigger as you get ready for your follow up shot. And remember to keep your right hand very relax the left hand is for carrying the wieght of the gun.
With practice you can perfect this technique

forumrunner_20121208_135323.jpg

Last edited by Ultimate_sig; 12-08-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #28

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig

I think it has to do with your hand position. If your right handed use your right hand just for squeezing the trigger and the left to hold the pistol. You want to havr your right thumb ride high in the pistol and the left to sit right in the grove of your right thumb with your left thumb pointing parallel with the barrel.
With targeting dont focus on the target, focus in your front dot as if your reading a book. Line it up with the back sights and over the target.
Stance- you want to have your feet shoulder width apart and lean forward into the gun for better control.
Another thing that helps is pulling the slack out if the trigger as you get ready for your follow up shot. And remember to keep your right hand very relax the left hand is for carrying the wieght of the gun.
With practice you can perfect this technique
Heres pics to help

forumrunner_20121208_142839.jpg
forumrunner_20121208_142853.jpg  

Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
That can go both ways... What if the sights are adjusted poorly to begin with? Just saying, I think that should always be the first suggestion, to align the sights.
Actually, rest shooting might be a better suggestion than either one of us had. As long as he concentrates on technique, if a good sight picture from a rest brings it on target it's probably not the sights. That would also encourage slower shooting and give him an idea of what he did wrong when he gets a flyer.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

Actually, rest shooting might be a better suggestion than either one of us had. As long as he concentrates on technique, if a good sight picture from a rest brings it on target it's probably not the sights. That would also encourage slower shooting and give him an idea of what he did wrong when he gets a flyer.
Much agreed.