Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What 9mm or .40 cal should I buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What 9mm or .40 cal should I buy

Hey Guys,

I would like to buy a handgun for home defense and occational target practice at the range. My spending limit is $700.

Two handguns I've been looking at are the glock and the taurus PT 92. From everything I've read, the glock is a superior functioning gun. But, it looks asthetically offensive. I personally dont care for plastic looking guns. The Taurus is supposed to be a lower quality gun, but oh god it looks so sleak and sexy.

I'm definitly not limited to these two. I'd love to hear any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #2

I can't stress enough... buy something YOU like.

You already seem to have caliber narrowed down, so part of the hard part is over. I'd say now go to a gun store with a large selection (don't worry about price, you're not going to buy this trip round anyway) and handle as many guns as they'll let you. Find the one that feels right. Test the trigger, heft the weight, pull back the slide, test the safetys, look down the sights. THAN and only than can you decide what you like best. Now, narrow it down to the ones you really could see yourself buying and go to a range that rents the perferred pistols. Shoot some rounds through each and see what shoots best for you. Once you've made your selection take some time and shop around for the best price.

Me, I like the M&P by Smith and Wesson, and the XD line by Springfield. Both are in your budget and you should add them to your list of "check out" pieces on your recon run.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would go with the Smith & Wesson M&P in either caliber. The 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot, and usually the ammo is easier to find. You could get the gun, a holster, an M3 light, and some ammo, and still be under $700. True, you could do the same with a Glock, but you said you didn't really like that gun. You could also look into the factory certified Sig 226. Those would also be under $700 and a darn fine gun to have, in either caliber.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:57 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

$700 is a good budget to shop for a 9mm handgun. Like Kain already mentioned, you need to get your hands on as many guns as possible before choosing and never settle for a good gun that you're not in love with. There are plenty of good quality weapons out there, so you don't need to settle, try to find the gun for you.

Go to a range and rent different pistols, that'll help you narrow your choices down. With that said, here's what I'd be looking at if I were you.

-CZ 75 or 85, excellent all steel guns, you'll have money left over for a holster and some ammo. They are rugged, well made and accurate. There are several different models, some DA/SA, some SA. Definitely worth a look.

-Browning Hi Power, king of nines. I've seen some new ones on gunbroker.com for around $700-750. If you like single action pistols, there's no better choice than this timeless classic.

-The Smith & Wesson M&P has already been mentioned, it's a really nice weapon as far as polymer pistols go. I bought one as a low maintenance home defense weapon that my girlfriend could fire, but I ended up taking it to the range quite often. It's a striker fired weapon, like Glocks, so the trigger pull is never going to be as pleasant as a single action pistol but it isn't difficult to adapt to it.

The Taurus PT 92 is a good gun, in fact I like the frame mounted safety a lot more than the Beretta 92's (the gun it's based on) slide mounted safety. However, I think there are better designs out there. I had a Beretta for a while and sold it to fund a CZ 75, I never regretted it.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-20-2009, 04:00 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Good suggestions above! I'll also suggest the Xd or XDm in 9mm or 40, the beretta 92f or beretta 96, CZ75b's or P -01's. Can't go wrong with any of these.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
pat

Default 9mm

i have several 9mm, its my favorite caliber. lots of choices.
most people will say hi pow, over your budget new, but if you really liked it a used one could be had. i used to compete using them.
however, i am one of the few old people, i know of, who can adapt to the new composite material.
my favorite at any price is the xdm,
like the man said, buy what fits your hand.

pat

Old 09-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #7

For a CCW and range pistol i like the XD9 and Glock 19, either can be had in 9mm or 40S&W.

"In God We Trust"

Old 09-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

One more vote for the M&P. Nuf said.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

How much experience do you have in handguns?

What is your definition of occasional trips to the range?

What handguns have you handled so far (other than the Taurus and the Glock)?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check out the Ruger SR9, XDM Springfield