what is a . 50 desert eagle good for? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > what is a . 50 desert eagle good for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #71
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7437 Times on 4059 Posts
Likes Given: 15298

Here is a side by side picture of a .50 AE cartridge next to a .500 S&W 700 grain hard cast bullet.

image-3096241028.jpg  

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #72
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Here is a side by side picture of a .50 AE cartridge next to a .500 S&W 700 grain hard cast bullet.
HOLY COW! I think I'm in love... .500 S&W is definitely on the list now. I didn't know you could even get bullets that heavy for it.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #73
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7437 Times on 4059 Posts
Likes Given: 15298

I just found them at ballisticsupply.com

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #74

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default The good old policy "I do it because I can"

Let me thank anyone who has posted a reply to this thread.
I've noticed that may of you follow the "I do it because I can" philosophy(Replies like "They're fun to shoot, if you like them then get them", "You don't need any particular reason to own a gun or another.You can own anything you want.". Call me closed-minded, but I still don't understand the point "I own it because I can"/ "I do it because I can".

In my modest opinion, you should always ask yourself why you're doing something, what are your aims and what will get from it.Especially if you're dealing with firearms.

A good reason to own a firearm is:
-Self Defense(Defend yourself)
-Hunting(Provide some food to yourself and to the others)
-Internal Security( Keep the order in your country.e.g.: fight the criminality)
-Foreign Security(Defend your country from a foreign/external aggressor)
-Training (You never know what may happen, you'd better be ready to any situation)

Owning a firearm just "because you can" it's not a good reason.A firearms it's a great responsibility, since it gives you the capability of choosing between life and death(In any sense). Doing things just because you can it's often not a good choice.You have to choose wisely.A DE .50AE is not the suitable to any of the situations(reasons to own a gun) listed above.

Last edited by Mark_Van_Goth; 12-18-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #75

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

image-1765487543.jpg

What about something like this? I don't hunt with it, I would never defend myself with it. It's not really ideal for doing anything but having fun with and the enjoyment of ownership. For me, a DE would serve the same purpose.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post

What about something like this? I don't hunt with it, I would never defend myself with it. It's not really ideal for doing anything but having fun with and the enjoyment of ownership. For me, a DE would serve the same purpose.
Well...we follow two different flows.I don't see the point of owning a gun just in its ownership.If it is not practical or effective, it doesn't make me feel any kind of enjoyment nor satisfaction.It doesn't need to be pretty of fun-to-shoot, it needs to functional and up to the task it was designed for.E.g.:What is a handgun good for, if you cannot take advantage of its reduced lenght, reduced weight,low recoil, controlability, capability of concealment, etc.?The answer is a loud "nothing".A handgun was designed to fit particular needs and with a particular pourpose in mind.If it doesn't match any of them, then its existence doesn't make any sense.But this is just my modest opinion.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #77
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
-Training (You never know what may happen, you'd better be ready to any situation)

Owning a firearm just "because you can" it's not a good reason.A firearms it's a great responsibility, since it gives you the capability of choosing between life and death(In any sense). Doing things just because you can it's often not a good choice.You have to choose wisely.A DE .50AE is not the suitable to any of the situations(reasons to own a gun) listed above.
Guns don't always have to be serious. They can be fun. I enjoy going to the range, punching holes in paper, and having a hell of a time. That's why I'm into guns. They are something I greatly enjoy. Sure, the self defense aspect is important, but you only need one or two guns for that. Shooting for fun is a good reason to buy a gun. It's the main reason I buy guns.

From what I've seen, most people here shoot mostly for fun.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

If you really must have one of your reasons to buy a DE 50AE, then get it for hunting. I'd buy it for fun.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 12-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #78

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Let me thank anyone who has posted a reply to this thread.
I've noticed that may of you follow the "I do it because I can" philosophy(Replies like "They're fun to shoot, if you like them then get them", "You don't need any particular reason to own a gun or another.You can own anything you want.". Call me closed-minded, but I still don't understand the point "I own it because I can"/ "I do it because I can".

In my modest opinion, you should always ask yourself why you're doing something, what are your aims and what will get from it.Especially if you're dealing with firearms.

I partially agree with what you say here....
I agree with all of your reasons for owning. But those are not the ONLY reasons that one may choose to own.
Another reason is the enjoyment of the hobby of shooting. Others may just say "for the fun of it". That is certainly a legitimate/valid reason for owning.
It may not be a valid reason for you personally, but that does not mean it is not a valid reason for someone else.

I have always enjoyed the hobby of shooting. It is great fun and personal enjoyment to me.
Everything else has always stemmed or grown from that.
Yes, I own for self-defense and yes I own because I train.
But those two reasons have always been an extension of the simple enjoyment of the hobby of shooting.

Having said all of that, you will understand why I purchased a Desert Eagle .357mag in the 1990's.
It was an impulse buy to me.
It is a movie gun and looked way cool to me.
It was fun to shoot too, but personally that wore off quickly.
It turned out to be the most impractical pistol purchase that I ever made.
Too big - too heavy - could not conceal it.
(on the good side, it was well made, functioned perfectly and very accurate as long as you fired it with two hands - too heavy for one handed shooting).

So, in short, I orginally purchased it because of the fun of it and the enjoyment of shooting it but that wore off and from a training and self-defense standpoint it was very impractical, so I wound up selling it off.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #79

Liked 753 Times on 587 Posts

ok...so that means texasww will be able to make it this april? afterall, all work no play ww....you know the line. lol.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 12-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
I partially agree with what you say here....
I agree with all of your reasons for owning. But those are not the ONLY reasons that one may choose to own.
Another reason is the enjoyment of the hobby of shooting. Others may just say "for the fun of it". That is certainly a legitimate/valid reason for owning.
It may not be a valid reason for you personally, but that does not mean it is not a valid reason for someone else.

I have always enjoyed the hobby of shooting. It is great fun and personal enjoyment to me.
Everything else has always stemmed or grown from that.
Yes, I own for self-defense and yes I own because I train.
But those two reasons have always been an extension of the simple enjoyment of the hobby of shooting.

Having said all of that, you will understand why I purchased a Desert Eagle .357mag in the 1990's.
It was an impulse buy to me.
It is a movie gun and looked way cool to me.
It was fun to shoot too, but personally that wore off quickly.
It turned out to be the most impractical pistol purchase that I ever made.
Too big - too heavy - could not conceal it.
(on the good side, it was well made, functioned perfectly and very accurate as long as you fired it with two hands - too heavy for one handed shooting).

So, in short, I orginally purchased it because of the fun of it and the enjoyment of shooting it but that wore off and from a training and self-defense standpoint it was very impractical, so I wound up selling it off.
I think that your point of view is the correct one, the most "politically correct", open-minded(you have a wide point of view).
Anyway...I'm a more "practical" guy, who have always used the weapons for serious purposes(war, work, training,etc.).If I want to have fun, then I spend my time with a woman, with my family or friends or by doing something andrenaline-injecting.