what is a . 50 desert eagle good for? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > what is a . 50 desert eagle good for?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #71
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 8,646
Liked 7437 Times on 4059 Posts
Likes Given: 15298

Default

Here is a side by side picture of a .50 AE cartridge next to a .500 S&W 700 grain hard cast bullet.

image-3096241028.jpg  
__________________

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MisterMcCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #72
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Here is a side by side picture of a .50 AE cartridge next to a .500 S&W 700 grain hard cast bullet.
HOLY COW! I think I'm in love... .500 S&W is definitely on the list now. I didn't know you could even get bullets that heavy for it.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #73
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 8,646
Liked 7437 Times on 4059 Posts
Likes Given: 15298

Default

I just found them at ballisticsupply.com

__________________

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MisterMcCool is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 322
Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default The good old policy "I do it because I can"

Let me thank anyone who has posted a reply to this thread.
I've noticed that may of you follow the "I do it because I can" philosophy(Replies like "They're fun to shoot, if you like them then get them", "You don't need any particular reason to own a gun or another.You can own anything you want.". Call me closed-minded, but I still don't understand the point "I own it because I can"/ "I do it because I can".

In my modest opinion, you should always ask yourself why you're doing something, what are your aims and what will get from it.Especially if you're dealing with firearms.

A good reason to own a firearm is:
-Self Defense(Defend yourself)
-Hunting(Provide some food to yourself and to the others)
-Internal Security( Keep the order in your country.e.g.: fight the criminality)
-Foreign Security(Defend your country from a foreign/external aggressor)
-Training (You never know what may happen, you'd better be ready to any situation)

Owning a firearm just "because you can" it's not a good reason.A firearms it's a great responsibility, since it gives you the capability of choosing between life and death(In any sense). Doing things just because you can it's often not a good choice.You have to choose wisely.A DE .50AE is not the suitable to any of the situations(reasons to own a gun) listed above.

__________________

Last edited by Mark_Van_Goth; 12-18-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Mark_Van_Goth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
magnumman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 544
Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

image-1765487543.jpg

What about something like this? I don't hunt with it, I would never defend myself with it. It's not really ideal for doing anything but having fun with and the enjoyment of ownership. For me, a DE would serve the same purpose.
__________________
magnumman is offline  
kfox75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 322
Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post

What about something like this? I don't hunt with it, I would never defend myself with it. It's not really ideal for doing anything but having fun with and the enjoyment of ownership. For me, a DE would serve the same purpose.
Well...we follow two different flows.I don't see the point of owning a gun just in its ownership.If it is not practical or effective, it doesn't make me feel any kind of enjoyment nor satisfaction.It doesn't need to be pretty of fun-to-shoot, it needs to functional and up to the task it was designed for.E.g.:What is a handgun good for, if you cannot take advantage of its reduced lenght, reduced weight,low recoil, controlability, capability of concealment, etc.?The answer is a loud "nothing".A handgun was designed to fit particular needs and with a particular pourpose in mind.If it doesn't match any of them, then its existence doesn't make any sense.But this is just my modest opinion.
__________________
Mark_Van_Goth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #77
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
A good reason to own a firearm is:
-Self Defense(Defend yourself)
-Hunting(Provide some food to yourself and to the others)
-Internal Security( Keep the order in your country.e.g.: fight the criminality)
-Foreign Security(Defend your country from a foreign/external aggressor)
-Training (You never know what may happen, you'd better be ready to any situation)

Owning a firearm just "because you can" it's not a good reason.A firearms it's a great responsibility, since it gives you the capability of choosing between life and death(In any sense). Doing things just because you can it's often not a good choice.You have to choose wisely.A DE .50AE is not the suitable to any of the situations(reasons to own a gun) listed above.
Guns don't always have to be serious. They can be fun. I enjoy going to the range, punching holes in paper, and having a hell of a time. That's why I'm into guns. They are something I greatly enjoy. Sure, the self defense aspect is important, but you only need one or two guns for that. Shooting for fun is a good reason to buy a gun. It's the main reason I buy guns.

From what I've seen, most people here shoot mostly for fun.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

If you really must have one of your reasons to buy a DE 50AE, then get it for hunting. I'd buy it for fun.
__________________

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 12-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.
texaswoodworker is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bartwatkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Birmingham,AL
Posts: 454
Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Let me thank anyone who has posted a reply to this thread.
I've noticed that may of you follow the "I do it because I can" philosophy(Replies like "They're fun to shoot, if you like them then get them", "You don't need any particular reason to own a gun or another.You can own anything you want.". Call me closed-minded, but I still don't understand the point "I own it because I can"/ "I do it because I can".

In my modest opinion, you should always ask yourself why you're doing something, what are your aims and what will get from it.Especially if you're dealing with firearms.

A good reason to own a firearm is:
-Self Defense(Defend yourself)
-Hunting(Provide some food to yourself and to the others)
-Internal Security( Keep the order in your country.e.g.: fight the criminality)
-Foreign Security(Defend your country from a foreign/external aggressor)
-Training (You never know what may happen, you'd better be ready to any situation)

Owning a firearm just "because you can" it's not a good reason.A firearms it's a great responsibility, since it gives you the capability of choosing between life and death(In any sense). Doing things just because you can it's often not a good choice.You have to choose wisely.A DE .50AE is not the suitable to any of the situations(reasons to own a gun) listed above.
I partially agree with what you say here....
I agree with all of your reasons for owning. But those are not the ONLY reasons that one may choose to own.
Another reason is the enjoyment of the hobby of shooting. Others may just say "for the fun of it". That is certainly a legitimate/valid reason for owning.
It may not be a valid reason for you personally, but that does not mean it is not a valid reason for someone else.

I have always enjoyed the hobby of shooting. It is great fun and personal enjoyment to me.
Everything else has always stemmed or grown from that.
Yes, I own for self-defense and yes I own because I train.
But those two reasons have always been an extension of the simple enjoyment of the hobby of shooting.

Having said all of that, you will understand why I purchased a Desert Eagle .357mag in the 1990's.
It was an impulse buy to me.
It is a movie gun and looked way cool to me.
It was fun to shoot too, but personally that wore off quickly.
It turned out to be the most impractical pistol purchase that I ever made.
Too big - too heavy - could not conceal it.
(on the good side, it was well made, functioned perfectly and very accurate as long as you fired it with two hands - too heavy for one handed shooting).

So, in short, I orginally purchased it because of the fun of it and the enjoyment of shooting it but that wore off and from a training and self-defense standpoint it was very impractical, so I wound up selling it off.
__________________
bartwatkins is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bobski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Va., Ct. & Mo.
Posts: 3,450
Liked 753 Times on 587 Posts

Default

ok...so that means texasww will be able to make it this april? afterall, all work no play ww....you know the line. lol.

__________________

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

bobski is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 322
Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
I partially agree with what you say here....
I agree with all of your reasons for owning. But those are not the ONLY reasons that one may choose to own.
Another reason is the enjoyment of the hobby of shooting. Others may just say "for the fun of it". That is certainly a legitimate/valid reason for owning.
It may not be a valid reason for you personally, but that does not mean it is not a valid reason for someone else.

I have always enjoyed the hobby of shooting. It is great fun and personal enjoyment to me.
Everything else has always stemmed or grown from that.
Yes, I own for self-defense and yes I own because I train.
But those two reasons have always been an extension of the simple enjoyment of the hobby of shooting.

Having said all of that, you will understand why I purchased a Desert Eagle .357mag in the 1990's.
It was an impulse buy to me.
It is a movie gun and looked way cool to me.
It was fun to shoot too, but personally that wore off quickly.
It turned out to be the most impractical pistol purchase that I ever made.
Too big - too heavy - could not conceal it.
(on the good side, it was well made, functioned perfectly and very accurate as long as you fired it with two hands - too heavy for one handed shooting).

So, in short, I orginally purchased it because of the fun of it and the enjoyment of shooting it but that wore off and from a training and self-defense standpoint it was very impractical, so I wound up selling it off.
I think that your point of view is the correct one, the most "politically correct", open-minded(you have a wide point of view).
Anyway...I'm a more "practical" guy, who have always used the weapons for serious purposes(war, work, training,etc.).If I want to have fun, then I spend my time with a woman, with my family or friends or by doing something andrenaline-injecting.
__________________
Mark_Van_Goth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Now he wants a Desert Eagle! taxgodfather60 XD Forum 8 04-10-2012 08:58 PM
Desert Eagle. 44 or the 50? Logan636 Semi-Auto Handguns 2 08-27-2011 03:45 AM
desert eagle 50.cal sizir1shotguns General Handgun Discussion 11 03-26-2011 12:57 AM
Desert Eagle .357 XIX Angeleyes General Handgun Discussion 11 02-10-2009 10:39 PM