Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > went to the range today....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Can you spray paint? If so then you could do it in a well ventilated area yourself if you get the air cure stuff.
Which is going to last longer? If we did this, I know that it is only the polymer portions of the firearm that she would want in color. We talked about this all evening last night..lol..she has not quit talking about it since we came home last night..lol

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
Now you run into the problem of "sharing" ammo....haha
haha..I know! Her shooting is going to get me into reloading quickly is she burns 200 rounds everytime..lol (not that I would mind that license to get into it haha)

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #13

Liked 451 Times on 251 Posts

How about a 1911

image-933911361.jpg   image-3297651699.jpg   image-1247106730.jpg   image-4120951996.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #14

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
The color should be the least important to her.
Sacrilege! My wife would put you in "time out" for such a statement. LOL.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

apwvsd40ve Likes This 
Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve

Which is going to last longer? If we did this, I know that it is only the polymer portions of the firearm that she would want in color. We talked about this all evening last night..lol..she has not quit talking about it since we came home last night..lol
Duracoat and ceracoat are both spray applied two art polymer coatings. They apply pretty much like spray paint. Midway, Brownels and others have it online. The first gun costs a bit more because you need to buy the sprayer, big can of prep solvent, etc.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post

Duracoat and ceracoat are both spray applied two art polymer coatings. They apply pretty much like spray paint. Midway, Brownels and others have it online. The first gun costs a bit more because you need to buy the sprayer, big can of prep solvent, etc.
Thanks! I did find an lgs in the area listed on the Cerakote site....I may check with them to see some of their work and see how much they would charge to do it. I would hate to Ruin a brand new gun trying to DIY....especially when it is my wifes and not mine lol

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #17

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
haha..I know! Her shooting is going to get me into reloading quickly is she burns 200 rounds everytime..lol (not that I would mind that license to get into it haha)
You don't need the license to reload for just your personal use, including what your wife uses, you only need it if you are going to manufacture and sell ammo to outside people, plus you have to have insurance which isn't cheap. You can reload all you want for you and her to shoot with no issues at all.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1315 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
TekGreg-

She had shot my 22lr rifle in the post but long guns were not her thing...when I starred talking about handguns a while back..I rounded up several with the help of some friends and my wife and I both shot but my wife only fired a round or two from each. That was over a year ago.when I brought the sd40 home we both shot a mag through it and she said she was done. This time I knew the weather was going to be nice, we had no plans, I found a sitter...took care of everything. I told her that I wanted her to shoot mre for self defense purposes which she liked the idea of. The range is owned by GREAT people that were nice to her (important note for my eifes comfory level). I took the first shots to get her used to the noise and then I showed her (again) how to use the firearm safely. I also purchased silhouette targets that were shoot n see which gave her instant feedback...she saw success and went nuts!

Now as to cerakote...have you used it before? Is it a send away or a DIY?
Shoot-n-see targets. Go figure! I will keep that in mind while trying to convert others.

CeraKote must be applied to completely cleaned and dried parts - they are usually dipped in acetone and then sand-blasted. It is also baked on. While the company does not hide the process and sells chemicals publicly, the tools necessary are not common to most people. A certified applicator can do the work locally in only about 3-7 days for ~$150, depending on work load.

Check the website for comparisons, but CeraKote appears to be the longest lasting when put under stress and abrasion tests. According to their charts, DuraCoat starts to break down in roughly 1,000 abrasions (racking slide, inserting magazine, etc.) and CeraKote doesn't show signs of wear until 5,000 abrasions. If you are not going to use the firearm much, or don't carry it daily, or don't mind reapplying a coating, DuraCoat may be for you because it is simply a high-stress industrial paint. But if you plan to compete or carry daily where there is much more use and stress, I would go with CeraKote. Just my personal opinion.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by customammo72 View Post

You don't need the license to reload for just your personal use, including what your wife uses, you only need it if you are going to manufacture and sell ammo to outside people, plus you have to have insurance which isn't cheap. You can reload all you want for you and her to shoot with no issues at all.
Thanks...I more meant like a reason to get into reloading...but I certainly understand why you read it as you did.

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post

Shoot-n-see targets. Go figure! I will keep that in mind while trying to convert others.

CeraKote must be applied to completely cleaned and dried parts - they are usually dipped in acetone and then sand-blasted. It is also baked on. While the company does not hide the process and sells chemicals publicly, the tools necessary are not common to most people. A certified applicator can do the work locally in only about 3-7 days for ~$150, depending on work load.

Check the website for comparisons, but CeraKote appears to be the longest lasting when put under stress and abrasion tests. According to their charts, DuraCoat starts to break down in roughly 1,000 abrasions (racking slide, inserting magazine, etc.) and CeraKote doesn't show signs of wear until 5,000 abrasions. If you are not going to use the firearm much, or don't carry it daily, or don't mind reapplying a coating, DuraCoat may be for you because it is simply a high-stress industrial paint. But if you plan to compete or carry daily where there is much more use and stress, I would go with CeraKote. Just my personal opinion.
Thanks for that info...honestly this would at least be a range gun/ hd. As to carry...that would be up to her...bit she had mentioned it today...again hooked..lol
I was telling her about the options I found online for the ceracoat and she liked the idea. Just have to find what she wants and get it for her now!

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton