Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   went to the range today.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/went-range-today-88325/)

apwvsd40ve 04-07-2013 03:07 AM

went to the range today....

So I have spent my entire life shooting/owning firearms of all types. I peaked my wifes interest a while back with handguns but even once I owned them..her participation was sparse at best...that is until today.
I took my wife to an indoor range today and she fell in love with shooting...so much that after a couple of "turns" with the SD40 ....I ended up reloading mags for her as she shot over 200 rounds of ammunition and did it well...I Mean put the rest of the shooters (including myself) to shame as far as accuracy goes.
She asked me to help her purchase a firearm for her birthday in a couple months (and I am excited to do so!) So I need some help from those more knowledgeable than I because she would like a pink semi-auto .40 cal.
Does anyone know where I may be able too find one our if there are accessories/paint options/ or customizing reccomendations that anyone might reccomend to achieve this for her. She really likes mine...but The SD40 does not have a huge amount of options. Any help/advice/ etc. is much appreciated! :)

indy36 04-07-2013 03:17 AM

If she likes the gun she shot then buy one and get it coated (Duracoat) pink. Then you can share mags.

nosaj 04-07-2013 03:22 AM

Now you run into the problem of "sharing" ammo....haha

BeyondTheBox 04-07-2013 04:09 AM

1911, you can get grips of any color/material you'd/she'd like!

Other than that I think Taurus makes some of their peashooters in pink, but no 40 cal I can recall at all.

There's always Duracoat... Any color option you want, simply spray on gun of choice! Booya!

TekGreg 04-07-2013 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve (Post 1205837)
So I have spent my entire life shooting/owning firearms of all types. I peaked my wifes interest a while back with handguns but even once I owned them..her participation was sparse at best...that is until today.
I took my wife to an indoor range today and she fell in love with shooting...so much that after a couple of "turns" with the SD40 ....I ended up reloading mags for her as she shot over 200 rounds of ammunition and did it well...I Mean put the rest of the shooters (including myself) to shame as far as accuracy goes.
She asked me to help her purchase a firearm for her birthday in a couple months (and I am excited to do so!) So I need some help from those more knowledgeable than I because she would like a pink semi-auto .40 cal.
Does anyone know where I may be able too find one our if there are accessories/paint options/ or customizing reccomendations that anyone might reccomend to achieve this for her. She really likes mine...but The SD40 does not have a huge amount of options. Any help/advice/ etc. is much appreciated! :)

First off, congrats on getting a new shooter into the fold! I'd be interested to know your effective tactic in getting her to try it out. Was she always interested, or did you have to win her over? Either way, great job just stepping back and letting her enjoy. The first visit always makes the greatest impression!

As far as getting her a gun, her enjoyment will continue only if you get her EXACTLY what she wants! If there are many options, explain each one, it's advantages and disadvantages, and let her decide. It will make her feel much more involved with the purchase. She is much more likely to use the gun SHE chose with the options SHE picked out than something you bought "for her own good," even if her choice is not what you would choose.

As far as being pink, don't worry about guns that are manufactured in that color. CeraKote is an aeronautics-quality ceramic coating that can be used to apply single, double or triple colors to any firearm and lasts almost forever. Download the color chart at the above link and maybe your wife will decide on a pink camo with purple appointments! The nice thing is that your wife gets the exact gun she wants in the color she wants and therefore shoots it often and becomes another happy member of our sport.

Congrats again to both you and your wife and please let us know how everything goes!

winds-of-change 04-07-2013 05:44 AM

Let her choose a gun that fits her hand and she likes. Worry about the pink later. The color should be the least important to her.

apwvsd40ve 04-07-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indy36 (Post 1205850)
If she likes the gun she shot then buy one and get it coated (Duracoat) pink. Then you can share mags.

I have heard about duracoat before...is that a process that you have to the firearm sent away for..or is it a case of finding the right person locally?

danf_fl 04-07-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve (Post 1206078)
I have heard about duracoat before...is that a process that you have to the firearm sent away for..or is it a case of finding the right person locally?

Can you spray paint? If so then you could do it in a well ventilated area yourself if you get the air cure stuff.

apwvsd40ve 04-07-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekGreg (Post 1205943)

First off, congrats on getting a new shooter into the fold! I'd be interested to know your effective tactic in getting her to try it out. Was she always interested, or did you have to win her over? Either way, great job just stepping back and letting her enjoy. The first visit always makes the greatest impression!

As far as getting her a gun, her enjoyment will continue only if you get her EXACTLY what she wants! If there are many options, explain each one, it's advantages and disadvantages, and let her decide. It will make her feel much more involved with the purchase. She is much more likely to use the gun SHE chose with the options SHE picked out than something you bought "for her own good," even if her choice is not what you would choose.

As far as being pink, don't worry about guns that are manufactured in that color. CeraKote is an aeronautics-quality ceramic coating that can be used to apply single, double or triple colors to any firearm and lasts almost forever. Download the color chart at the above link and maybe your wife will decide on a pink camo with purple appointments! The nice thing is that your wife gets the exact gun she wants in the color she wants and therefore shoots it often and becomes another happy member of our sport.

Congrats again to both you and your wife and please let us know how everything goes!

TekGreg-

She had shot my 22lr rifle in the post but long guns were not her thing...when I starred talking about handguns a while back..I rounded up several with the help of some friends and my wife and I both shot but my wife only fired a round or two from each. That was over a year ago.when I brought the sd40 home we both shot a mag through it and she said she was done. This time I knew the weather was going to be nice, we had no plans, I found a sitter...took care of everything. I told her that I wanted her to shoot mre for self defense purposes which she liked the idea of. The range is owned by GREAT people that were nice to her (important note for my eifes comfory level). I took the first shots to get her used to the noise and then I showed her (again) how to use the firearm safely. I also purchased silhouette targets that were shoot n see which gave her instant feedback...she saw success and went nuts!

Now as to cerakote...have you used it before? Is it a send away or a DIY?

apwvsd40ve 04-07-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1205980)
Let her choose a gun that fits her hand and she likes. Worry about the pink later. The color should be the least important to her.

Winds- Thanks for your thoughs...While I agree with you that color should be the last consideration, I am willing to help her if it makes he more interested in the sport. I will not discourage any choice she makes and that includes a color. With that said, She has fired at least a round through 9mm, 22 revolver, 40, 45, and believe it or not 44 mag revolver. she has pulled the trigger on S&W and Glock. She already knows that she likes a Smith and Wesson semi-automatic .40 cal. I intend to let her choose one (she would be happy with her own SD40) but has also mentioned something smaller. She will hold/use every handgun she wants until she finds the best one for her...my question with color is because I do not find it important..but for her...it means something so I will help her get there. I prefer Smith and I know (other than the Breast Cancer M&P 9mm or a lady smith revolver) that they do not offer a ton of customization in regard to color...therefore the question to the forum.