Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Website for checking handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Website for checking handguns

Is there a website were you can check to make sure a gun is not stolen.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That would be cool, to have something like a gunfax, but that would mean some kind of gun registration which is an infringement on our rights. But for now the standard operating procedure is to check with your local law enforcement agency.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8439 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Nate- there have been a few sites set up where people could post if they had a gun stolen, but they were REAL spotty. Less than 1/1000th of 1 percent of stolen guns made it to their lists.

The only one that really works is the NCIC- which YOU cannot access- it is limited to law enforcement. Sorry, bra.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

FFL's are the only ones that can run stolen gun checks without fear of reprisal. I can do it, but in any case they require a location of the suspect firearm up front so they can come pick it up if it turns out to be stolen.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If you have any reason to believe a gun is stolen, don't buy it.

There is no magical list of all the guns in the US.

there are a myriad of incomplete lists and failures of stolen firearm websites.

The saddest part is, a large part of gun owners aren't even responsible enough to record make/model/serial number for personal records.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #6

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I would buy a "possibly suspected" stolen gun if it checks out. It's not my fault if an irresponsible gun owner doesn't record his serials. I'd check with local LEA, but if it checks out, it's something I want, and I can get it for a "steal", I'd take it.

That being said, if the deal is too good to be true, I'll try to record the seller's info and keep in on hand, just in case something comes up, like it being suspected of use in a murder or robbery or something.

I try to do the right thing, but sometimes the right thing is so hard to define, I'll just do the best I can and not violate my own morals.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #7

Thank you guys for the answers.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2604 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
FFL's are the only ones that can run stolen gun checks without fear of reprisal. I can do it, but in any case they require a location of the suspect firearm up front so they can come pick it up if it turns out to be stolen.
FFL's can check for stolen? Huh? LE is the only ones with NCIC access.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Yeah. I call Portland PD and tell them I want to run a check. Difference between me an the guy next door is if the gun is stolen, I'm far less likely to get popped with a possession charge.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7824 Times on 4515 Posts
Likes Given: 10072

In one case many years ago I visited a guys house to look at a rifle he was selling. I asked if I could check the # and told him if it came up stolen that I would give LE his name, address and phone number. He said no problem, so I wrote the numbers down and checked them through a LEO I know and it came up clean.

My LEO buddy said there was no problem to look up numbers but if they came up stolen I would have to relinquish it (I have no problem doing that). I could plausibly say that I found it in the canyon off the road by my house because people are always throwing stuff off the road there (once found a body down there and another time a guy hanged himself). That is if I didn't want to give up the guy who was selling it (but I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't do that).

One of my neighbors bought an M1 carbine at a garage sale years ago (long story) and wanted to know if it was stolen recently so I checked it out through my LEO buddy. It came up clean. I probably would have used the canyon explanation if it had come up stolen. That is if my buddy asked (which he probably wouldn't).