Weaver or Isosceles? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Weaver or Isosceles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for that, robo. As I was reading this post, I was wondering why philosophies had changed over the years. Back in the late 90's it seemed one-handed and weaver were the preferred methods to engage a target, and weaver only for stability. I hadn't thought about the lethality of a single hit, tho.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #22
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Robo as always great insight.
Most of us don't wear body armor daily and I truly respect those that have to. While I respect your input the Weaver stance is what I use. A smaller target and considering the prospective shooting expereince of a hostile person I may encounter as a civilian it seems right for me. Then again I am somewhat set in my ways and can't image giving a large target to an aggersor witrh out wearing body armor. Most of us practice on targets that display full body, and learn to shoot two or three shots center mass, few targets for the Weaver stance. I what my bad guy squared up just like the targets I shoot.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #23

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Robo as always great insight.
Most of us don't wear body armor daily and I truly respect those that have to. While I respect your input the Weaver stance is what I use. A smaller target and considering the prospective shooting expereince of a hostile person I may encounter as a civilian it seems right for me. Then again I am somewhat set in my ways and can't image giving a large target to an aggersor witrh out wearing body armor. Most of us practice on targets that display full body, and learn to shoot two or three shots center mass, few targets for the Weaver stance. I what my bad guy squared up just like the targets I shoot.
As someone who does wear body armor daily, and was trained in Modern Isosceles, I've just recently realized that when I have a suspect at gunpoint or I'm advancing on a threat with my gun drawn, I am usually either in motion or a modified Weaver... I've never noticed until about a week ago that I do it.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I shoot with the Weaver most often and feel strongly that it gives the shooter the most stability. In addition the Weaver allows readiness to move if necessary, in order to engage a second or multiple targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Weaver does make you a slightly smaller target, but the available target is more vital. Thank God I'm a lefty!

If you are bladed to the right, your left arm pit/side is exposed. A single bullet can take out both lungs and heart/aorta. If you are wearing body armor, you have exposed the seam and rendered the armor all but useless.

If you are facing the threat (Iscosoles), your armor covers more of your vitals. You got a spare set???
I see the logic in that if you are wearing body armor, but for the general public, that won't apply.

I'm gonna ask a question about individuals and Body armor, but not in this thread.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #25

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I see the logic in that if you are wearing body armor, but for the general public, that won't apply.
What you don't have Level 3 body armor with three extra trauma plates duct taped to your front and back? What the hell is wrong with you?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What you don't have Level 3 body armor with three extra trauma plates duct taped to your front and back? What the hell is wrong with you?
If you didn't use OD duct tape, those extra plates are virtually worthless.

Seriously though, it is good to hear the LEO side of this discussion. I had wondered if they worried about their arm holes and seams; i sure would.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.