Weaver or Isosceles? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Weaver or Isosceles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I think you also have to remember. Standing in full view and shooting in a life and death situation is going to get you dead.

You should be moving sideways and away looking and seeking cover. Cover is going to be your best friend.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

i would like to add the only firearms i can think of that a "stance" can be done wrong is shooting big bore rifles as in .416 and up. typically you stand square to your target and stand straight up. try to soak up the recoil like using a 12ga shotgun and your gonna hurt really bad. my 458 winmag dislocated a guys collarbone when he didnt listen, didnt shoulder the rifle correctly and tried to absorb the recoil.

other than something like that its just whatever works for you to get the bullets on target.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a modified Weaver & Isosceles (push / pull) stance.

With off side large finger on the front of trigger guard.

Old fashioned, but works for me.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

thats cool didnt know they came in bolt action. the only ones ive ever seen were double rifles like the second one he shot. he had pretty decent form. ive only fired a 700 once and it was like saddling up a thunderbolt. but overall i still find 338winmag 7mm mag and similar rounds more unpleasent. big heavy slow bullets the recoil is more like a shove while smaller very fast bullets is a sharp punch.

best analogy is i would rather get pushed by mike tyson than punched by bruce lee

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm most accurate when using the Isoceles stance. However, in a gunfight, I'm not going to check the batter's box before I swing. The topic of point-shooting usually winds up with a mod putting a padlock icon on the thread, so I'm not going to sing it's praises, but I will say that it can be done effectively, particularly in close. Two-handed, strong handed, and weak-handed. "Jelly" won because dead guys aren't good shots, and there's something to be said for getting 3 or 4 rounds downrange before the other guy. You never get to decide what is going to happen, so practice everything. Making one ragged hole from a Weaver stance at 45' is nice, but if your strong arm has been broken by a bullet, you'd better be competent with your weak hand.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #17

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

What do I prefer and what do I think seems like it would work well?-Weaver.What do I use,I use Isosolese because I suck in weaver,don't know why,but when I stand straight I shoot straight.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 12-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2868 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I think you also have to remember. Standing in full view and shooting in a life and death situation is going to get you dead.

You should be moving sideways and away looking and seeking cover. Cover is going to be your best friend.
Remember that cover and concealment are two different things. One protects you, the other hides you.

If you practice one stance, and get it perfect, guess wihich stance you will be taking when you should be doing some other.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Our philosophy has changed over the last 25 years. Weaver does make you a slightly smaller target, but the available target is more vital.

If you are bladed to the right, your left arm pit/side is exposed. A single bullet can take out both lungs and heart/aorta. If you are wearing body armor, you have exposed the seam and rendered the armor all but useless.

If you are facing the threat (Iscosoles), your armor covers more of your vitals. Even w/o armor, a single bullet has fewer vitals organs it can damage.

I would rather not get shot, but would much rather take one in the lung that one in the side that completely traverses the thorax.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Good point Robo. I practice in Weaver because I'm an old dog who started shooting in the '70s and was heavilyb influenced by Jeff Cooper.