Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > want to buy a cheap hadgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenonah View Post
My advice would be to get a Ruger 22/45. Shooting .22 you will get in so much more practice but all the controls such as magazine release, slide release and manual safety in the same location as a 1911. That would make transitioning to a service gun relatively easy.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned is training. Before you start shooting and developing bad habits it's important that you get some basic instruction from someone who not only knows how to shoot but how to teach. It's so difficult to break bad habits once they are established, I know from personal experience.
That is great advise but i just dont really know anyone or where to go to find someone to teach me the right things

Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #32
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

NRA has a list of instructors.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #33
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghamm117 View Post
That is great advise but i just dont really know anyone or where to go to find someone to teach me the right things
Check this out...

NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #34
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1734 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Shooting Ranges, rifles ranges, and pistol ranges.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If $200 is your budget, you are not looking to carry concealed, and you are worried mainly about home defense. I might urge you to look at a good pump action shotgun. I got my Remington 870 express for under 200 at a local pawn shop.
If you are dead set on purchasing a handgun, never underestimate the impact that the economy has taken on the used handgun market.

Best of luck!

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #36

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghamm117 View Post
That's true is the sense of physical presence but remember you are now part of ftf and there is a training section here you could use to ask questions about how to train yourself and a lot of videos on YouTube . There are a lot of members here who have had hundreds if not thousands of hours in combat handgun or training.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
If $200 is your budget, you are not looking to carry concealed, and you are worried mainly about home defense. I might urge you to look at a good pump action shotgun. I got my Remington 870 express for under 200 at a local pawn shop.
If you are dead set on purchasing a handgun, never underestimate the impact that the economy has taken on the used handgun market.

Best of luck!
True that! I have a few pistols and an SKS, but it is my Mossberg pump 12 that is beside my alarm clock.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #38

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

The Bersa Thunder (Impact Guns has it for about $250 brand new) would make a nice home defense pistol, it's a 7+1 .380 may not pack as much of a punch as the bigger calibers but if it's just for the home then the only time you would ever have to use it would be in an up close and personal situation, in that case a .380 JHP (which run about $20 a box) is ample firepower that is very accurate, durable and is just a easy to fire one handed while ducking for cover. It's a nice all round affordable gun which wont break the bank to shoot/practice with either and you don't have to worry about it going through your dry wall and taking out a neighbor as with most larger caliber pistols either.

Hope this helps.

Glaine ár gcroí, neart ár ngéag agus beart de réir ár mbriathar - ARW
(The cleanliness of our hearts, the strength of our limbs and our commitment to our promise)

Old 01-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #39

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I can echo what others have advised. Find out which kind of pistol the department issues or authorizes and learn to shoot with that. I can guarantee that a Hi-Point will not be an authorized pistol. It will be a waste of your time and money. Then, get some professional training by certified instructors. That way when you start the academy, they will not have to un-train your bad habits out of you.

Good luck.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post

Best of luck!
Its really not the lack of firepower in my home i have 5 shotguns three .22 a 270 rifle, an AK 74..... the list keeps going. So i have kinda got used to the long guns and have quite a few. But i just needed too have something decently cheap too get into using a handgun for my future job.