Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > want to buy a cheap hadgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 37

You will have to look up your state's transport or use laws,they vary state by state so much,like here in Michigan,without a CPL(CCW)you cannot transport or shoot someone else's handgun without them being present,yet on the other hand you can buy and transport/shoot your own handgun at age 18.As for a handgun,I would also reccommend a .22LR,something like the Ruger 22/45,they run about $250 and are superior in quality to any $200 9mm or .40,and loaded with the right .22 ammo they will give you dependable home defense that no one will want to be shot with.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not sure about the IL rules, but i would consider using a locked box to house the unloaded firearm, just so it is obvious you are not planning to use the firearm until you get to a range. I would definately ask some local law enforcement and range personnel about that one.

Re firearm choice: I recently picked up a little Bersa Thunder .380ACP that was only $300 and was available for less with a different finish. You could use that for practice and maybe later as a backup to your primary pistol. A friend has a Ruger P95 that is a great 9mm for the money; you should price those also. I've also seen some used Glocks in the just under $400 area. Good luck with it.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-24-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2010 Times on 1092 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghamm117 View Post
Well thank you all for the input. I still have about two too four years left of college because so the whole handgun i would take to the academy is not going to be a hi point i promise that. Hopefully i will have three or four more guns by then. Im still kind of in the air i mean i realize using the same quality would be best too get "good" but like i said maybe buying something i can learn some more basics on and then someday be a truck or nightstand gun. But also i seen someone ask if i was old enough. And actually im 20 so i cannot even purchase one but my step dad would buy it and i would just shoot it around my house ( live out in middle of no where and have a range for rifles and such). Which actually brought me too another question. If i am 20 in illinois have a valid FOID card does anyone know if i can transport a handgun thaty my stepdad bought like to a range?
In that case, buy a .22 and shoot the snot out of it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #24

well like i said before thanks too all that have posted still a little up in the air but every bit of knowlede helps

Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #25

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

cghamm117,

If you are looking full size, under $200, then yes the Hi-Point is the way to go. Lifetime transferable warranty. Go .45 ACP if you are talking full size and don't look back, only ahead. Wear it out just shooting. You don't have to fill up the 10 ring with air when having fun. My Hi-Point .45 has over 2k rounds through it and fewer "jams" (fail to feeds) than anyone who has never owned one and shot the crap out of it would ever believe.

Here's an analogy:

The best racecar drivers of old all started with a big heavy car with no power steering, no power brakes, a bad clutch and a crappy transmission. They only got to be better racers when they got into a sweet driving machine. Racers of today don't have to go through that learning period. Or if they did, then they are old and have forgotten about it.

Look, the fact is that if you can shoot pretty well with a fixed barrel, heavy slide, heavy trigger and cheaply made magazine handgun then you will do just as well or better when you get the chance to shoot a better handgun in the future. The whole practice with inferior bats, gloves, racquets, cleats or whatever philosophy. I believe in that. It has worked for me for a long time now. You can get a better handgun in the future. You won't want to sell it later, so the whole resale arguement is invalid. Buy a $20k car and you won't sell it later for $10k either. Buy a $70k car and you can still get nearly $70k later. The .22 pistol does not work because are looking for a large bore pistol. The .22 comes later once you get the feel for large caliber shooting.

Anyway, there is some great advice here and ultimately it is up to you. Just don't let the greasy guy at the other end of the lot talk you out of what you are looking for to fit your current need. Heck, there are some really well working cap and ball revolvers out there that shoot better than many other handguns, but they don't run well on gasoline of any octane.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #26

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
You will have to look up your state's transport or use laws,they vary state by state so much,like here in Michigan,without a CPL(CCW)you cannot transport or shoot someone else's handgun without them being present,yet on the other hand you can buy and transport/shoot your own handgun at age 18.As for a handgun,I would also reccommend a .22LR,something like the Ruger 22/45,they run about $250 and are superior in quality to any $200 9mm or .40,and loaded with the right .22 ammo they will give you dependable home defense that no one will want to be shot with.
You cannot buy any handgun in any state under the age of 21 legally. Just want to make that clear.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
You cannot buy any handgun in any state under the age of 21 legally. Just want to make that clear.
I thought that only applied to store/FFL sales, leaving private party sales less restricted federally. I would wait, personally.

(not a lawyer here)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-25-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #28

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default Handgun

I applaud your interest /decision in a future career in law enforcement ,I dont know about your state, but you should inquire about a" ride along "program with your local police /sheriff dept .This imo would give you better insight on this serious undertaking.This ,along with maturity,good grades,and desire to really help your community will help you get your foot into the door . Find a mentor to help you.Then lets talk handguns...Most dept . carry a quality semi auto 9mm or .40 ..some .45's .Talk with your "new'' friends ,get their opinions then purchase a "used" duty gun.Most law enforcement officers are always selling/trading guns ....you could get a sweet '' inside'' deal .Then practice ,practice ,practice. purchase a back -up gun too. A quality ,conceilable .38 spl.Then practice ,practice,practice . I wish you good luck,as this is serious business.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
I applaud your interest /decision in a future career in law enforcement ,I dont know about your state, but you should inquire about a" ride along "program with your local police /sheriff dept .This imo would give you better insight on this serious undertaking.This ,along with maturity,good grades,and desire to really help your community will help you get your foot into the door . Find a mentor to help you.Then lets talk handguns...Most dept . carry a quality semi auto 9mm or .40 ..some .45's .Talk with your "new'' friends ,get their opinions then purchase a "used" duty gun.Most law enforcement officers are always selling/trading guns ....you could get a sweet '' inside'' deal .Then practice ,practice ,practice. purchase a back -up gun too. A quality ,conceilable .38 spl.Then practice ,practice,practice . I wish you good luck,as this is serious business.
yea that is a good idea im in good with many people with my local pd. Have not really done ride alongs yet because im goin to a college about three hours away next semester for two possibly four years. But i do talk to them often i never thought to ask around if they sell trade. But i guess since im 20 they may not wanna do that for a couple months lol. But anyway thank you for advise.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #30

My advice would be to get a Ruger 22/45. Shooting .22 you will get in so much more practice but all the controls such as magazine release, slide release and manual safety in the same location as a 1911. That would make transitioning to a service gun relatively easy.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned is training. Before you start shooting and developing bad habits it's important that you get some basic instruction from someone who not only knows how to shoot but how to teach. It's so difficult to break bad habits once they are established, I know from personal experience.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor