want to buy a cheap hadgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > want to buy a cheap hadgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default want to buy a cheap hadgun

Hey im looking to buy a decently cheap handgun. Im thinking around the most 200. I know everyone is thinkin im crazy but im not using it for self defense other than i guess if someone broke into my house but then i would just use one of the other guns. But anyway i can not carry it with me because this crappy state i live in. But anyway the reason i want a inexpensive handgun is because i want to be a cop and i would like to get more practice in shooting a handgun. I have seen videos and was honestly quite inpressed with the high point handgun i always thought they were big pieces. But if you watch the youtube video type "hi point test " you would be amazed as well. But anyway im not set on that i would like a accurate and reliable gun. Im not using it for carry so i would like a full sized weapon. Then honestly someday i want probably a glock and several other guns so this will just be the cheap night stand gun. But any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

Hi-Point handgun and wanting to become a police officer. How many policemen have you seen shoot the Hi-Point?

Save your money and purchase what is normally used by the police in your area.

If you do a search on Hi-Point, you will find that there are people who either like or dislike them.

IMO, you would be better off purchasing a handgun that is easier to get accessories (extra mags, holster), and that can be repaired easily in the local area (i.e. warranty issues).

Go to a nearby range and watch. You will see what others are buying and shooting in the area and you will have a chance to ask questions.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If you want a gun that you'll rarely shoot and tuck it away just in case you should ever need it, Hi Point will do the trick for under $200.

If you actually want to shoot regularly, build a skill, and have that skill translate to a future career, buy something better. For $250-350 you can get into some really decent Rugers or a S&W Sigma (aka SW9ve). I've actually seen used Sigmas go for $200. These guns will be quite applicable to what might be a future law enforcement sidearm, and they'll be reliable pistols for a long time.

IMO the difference in quality that extra $100 or so affords you is immense.

Last edited by sweeper22; 01-23-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #4

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Agree with Sweeper, spend a little more and get a Sigma 9 or .40, nothing wrong with a nightstand Hi-point, but a Glock it ain't, you want practice with something comparable, Dad has a Sigma, not pretty IMO (but it's a show piece compared to the Hi-point), it's a great gun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #5

If you have a range near by that rents guns, try a few different types.
This will help as what to buy.

RJ

Old 01-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2771 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I am a huge S&W fan, but the newer Sigmas are the reason they have a n awful reputation. The triggers are beyond bad. I have a 40C and a 9V. The triggers are far better than the VE series. Look for a used F or C model, but avoid the serial number prefix PAA or PAB. The first ones put out in .40 were chambered too tight. Most were sent back and rebarrelled, but you don't need the aggravation incase you get one that has not been corrected even though S&W will still fix them free.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Like others have said, if you push your price up to $300-400 there are a lot of better options out there. Taurus, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Sig and Bersa all have pistols in that price range and are much better suited for frequent range visits. A lot of gun shops have a layaway plan that can help finance a more expensive weapon with most of us being squeezed by the current economy.

...and a good used 9mm pistol can save some cash as well. Just shop around you local gun stores and ask about a layaway plan.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #8

Hi-point 40 caliber, I love shooting mine. Good luck

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 01-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you are learning to shoot a handgun and you are wanting to be a cop, save some more money and buy something that you most likely will be carrying. I know this isn't what you wanted to here, but in CA if you want to be a cop, most of the time you have to pay for the academy yourself and supply your own gun. Here if you showed up to the Academy with a Hi-point you would get sent home until you found a "acceptable" gun. So why spend $200 now only to $300-500 later when you enroll in the Academy?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #10

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

The hi point will do the job for $200 -
However when you walk out the dealers door you'd be hard pressed to re sell it for $100

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET