Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Walther ppk: reload? And dented shells?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
MLF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Walther ppk: reload? And dented shells?

I just bought a Walther/Smith & Wesson ppk .380, and I see the manual says not to shoot reloads. Is this standard CYA for gun manufacturers, or is there a legitimate reason not to reload .380 brass for this particular pistol? Secondly, the brass I have put through so far has dents indicating the slide may be hitting the cartridges; is this indicative of some misalignment, or normal? Thanks for your time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Welcome to the forum. We have an "Introductions" area we ask new people to stop in and tell us a little.

Reloads may be of questionable quality and have been known to ruin otherwise good firearms.

On the dents, when was the recoil spring last changed? Or have you been shooting reloads through it?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 10-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
MLF

Thank you; I will head over to the Introductions page. I currently reload my own .44 rounds and am confident in the quality. I would like to reload .380 for this gun as well. Do you recommend against reloads across the board?

I just purchased this used, and though everything looks great, I can't vouch for the recoil spring. Sounds like I need to call my dealer?

Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #4

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The warning not to shoot reloads I'm pretty sure is just a basic CYA. I don't know of any maker who doesn't recommend not using them, but I don't know every maker's policies either.