Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Walther pk380 vs p22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Walther pk380 vs p22

hey all,
my dad wants to get a home defense gun for my mom. she weighs 90lbs soaking wet so recoil is a big deal for her and we want her to be comfortable. the debate is between the pk380 and the p22.

1) how much more recoil will she have to deal with for the 380 compared to the 22. I have the 22 and while its no big deal for me, i do think it has more recoil than most 22 pistols i have fired.

2) how much harder is the spring on the 380 than the 22? a big problem she has is she isn't strong enough to operate the slide on a lot of pistols.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them"-Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2009, 01:45 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Stiff spring on the Walther PPK/S

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
hey all,
my dad wants to get a home defense gun for my mom. she weighs 90lbs soaking wet so recoil is a big deal for her and we want her to be comfortable. the debate is between the pk380 and the p22.

1) how much more recoil will she have to deal with for the 380 compared to the 22. I have the 22 and while its no big deal for me, i do think it has more recoil than most 22 pistols i have fired.

2) how much harder is the spring on the 380 than the 22? a big problem she has is she isn't strong enough to operate the slide on a lot of pistols.
Hay Juice, long time no-see. I've handled a couple of Walther's-the .380's have a pretty "smart" recoil. The .380's also have a stiff slide spring-due to the blow-back design. My summer time back pocket gun is a Beretta Tom Cat, in .32acp. No it's NOT a giant killer, but it is small and works well. With the tip-up barrel, your Mom would never have to rack the slide, unless a jam would occur. I bought the TomCat new, and have NEVER had a jam, to date.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 09-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the reply billy bob. i will pass the word on to the old man.

yeah ive been busy with school/work so its been tough to do my internetting but im trying to get back into it haha

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them"-Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default GREAT to see you back on Juice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
thanks for the reply billy bob. i will pass the word on to the old man.

yeah ive been busy with school/work so its been tough to do my internetting but im trying to get back into it haha
Hay, school comes first!! That's not to say that you can't substitute some of your "Party" time for FTF time?? Great to see you back.......

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 09-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

haha if by party you mean work (or maybe a little xbox time) then i guess i agree with you.

dont worry, i never left, i still found a little time to take a look at what you guys were spouting off...i need some other media source beyond the mainstream media right?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

If it doesn't have to be a semi-auto, I'd recommend a S&W J-frame revolver. No slide to mess with and recoil is no worse than a .380 semi-auto (and I have a couple). To lessen recoil the most, get a steel framed model versus the airweight. I recently picked up this nice Model 37 for $265 used...

Last edited by NGIB; 09-30-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i agree 100% i told my dad to get her a revolver but her fingers aren't quite strong enough to squeeze the trigger on most revolvers without pulling back the hammer. plus for some reason my dad doesn't like them...dont ask me why.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

An option, albeit a pricey one, may be the new Sig P238. It uses a locked breech barrel rather than blowback for less recoil and it has a 1911 style single action trigger. I haven't shot one yet myself but I have a friend that has one and he's very satisfied with it...