Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Walther PK .380 (Gun range question also)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Walther PK .380 (Gun range question also)

So i am about 8 months away from being 21 and able to purchase a firearm on my own and i am thinking about getting the PK .380. I plan to use it as a conceal carry and of course take a course with it and use it at the range.

I was just mainly looking for people who have this firearm and what they think about it and whatnot.

Question 2. Since i am not 21 does that mean i cannot rent a firearm at a gun range? Or is that still possible?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2010, 05:09 AM   #2

For range rental, you can legally provided no state law regarding, then there is the range rules, I have seen some that do, most do not, for liability, some need adults, call ahead and ask for their policy and state law.

For the PK380
I myself am not a fan of the .380acp However I have not heard of any issues, these are extremely hard for me to get ahold of and I have only sold 3 to date, no complaints I know of, nothing serious was brought up in the reviews in magazines I read. Walther is a good company, been around for some time and well liked by some. Keep an eye on the net for issues, and someone else may be able to provide more detailed usability notes, as for me I just don't care for the trigger guard mag release, but some people, especially newer shooters seem to love it.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaz1 View Post
For range rental, you can legally provided no state law regarding, then there is the range rules, I have seen some that do, most do not, for liability, some need adults, call ahead and ask for their policy and state law.

For the PK380
I myself am not a fan of the .380acp However I have not heard of any issues, these are extremely hard for me to get ahold of and I have only sold 3 to date, no complaints I know of, nothing serious was brought up in the reviews in magazines I read. Walther is a good company, been around for some time and well liked by some. Keep an eye on the net for issues, and someone else may be able to provide more detailed usability notes, as for me I just don't care for the trigger guard mag release, but some people, especially newer shooters seem to love it.
Ok thanks a bunch. When i saw the gun it just popped. I loved everything about it and how the safety and mag release is and i think it is a pretty nice gun for the price. I will be getting a 9mm (possibly .45) eventually, but this is what i would like the most first.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:32 AM   #4

No problem, the most important thing is that it feels good in your hand, and the function feels right to you. Don't forget to take a class about your firearm and know how to dissemble it/function it/clean it before you go carrying it around everywhere.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaz1 View Post
No problem, the most important thing is that it feels good in your hand, and the function feels right to you. Don't forget to take a class about your firearm and know how to dissemble it/function it/clean it before you go carrying it around everywhere.
Safety first!

Old 04-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsal View Post
So i am about 8 months away from being 21 and able to purchase a firearm on my own and i am thinking about getting the PK .380. I plan to use it as a conceal carry and of course take a course with it and use it at the range.

I was just mainly looking for people who have this firearm and what they think about it and whatnot.

Question 2. Since i am not 21 does that mean i cannot rent a firearm at a gun range? Or is that still possible?
to the top!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have carried a Walther PPK/s for several years. I have not found a better firearm for concealed carry . It is small, accurate, functions without any problems and is plenty powerful for self defense. There are many small firearms on the market, but most are only suitable for hitting a target at extremely close range and have functioning problems, not so with the PPK.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Probably 90% of the time I carry one of my PPKs. I have 2, a stainless PPK/S and an original small grip blue PPK...

Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
I have carried a Walther PPK/s for several years. I have not found a better firearm for concealed carry . It is small, accurate, functions without any problems and is plenty powerful for self defense. There are many small firearms on the market, but most are only suitable for hitting a target at extremely close range and have functioning problems, not so with the PPK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Probably 90% of the time I carry one of my PPKs. I have 2, a stainless PPK/S and an original small grip blue PPK...
What is the difference between to PPK and the PK?

I looked it up because i thought they were the same but it clearly says PK 380 on the slide.

Im sure this is a newb question but im curious.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:08 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default PPK difference

The Walther PK380 is a new sightly larger and thicker frame pistol. They are also less expensive than the PPK/s. The Walther PPK is an older firearm in use in WWII. The PPK is a compact version of the old Walther PP service pistol. My Walther PPK/s looks exactly like the PPK, but the grip is slightly longer (1/10 of an inch). The PPK was the pistol used by the James Bond character.

So you can get even more confused there is also a Walther PPS, which is about the same size as as the PPK/S, but more squared in shape like a Glock. It is more expensive than the PPK/s. The PPS is chambered in 9mm and .40 Smith & Wesson. The PPS is an excellent pistol; very thin (0.9 inch thick) accurate and dependable (the insides look like a Glock). I have never fired the .40 but my 9mm shoots great. Magazine capacity for the PPS is 6, 7 or 8 rounds in 9mm.

Because the Texas summers are so hot I usually wear shorts and a light shirt. Holsters are uncomfortable and hard to conceal in light attire so I like a pocket pistol. The shape of my PPS does not lend itself to be quite as handy in the pocket as my PPK/s, but my PPS would be my second choice.