Walther P22 problems
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Walther P22 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Walther P22 problems

I am fairly new to firearms and need some help.

I purchased a Walthers p22 last week and have put about 300 rounds (winchester wildcat 22) thru it so far. It seems that when I use one of the two factory supplied magazines the weapon jams and misfires. I have had to pry several unspent rounds out of the barrel and had many (approx 25) instances where the following round has not loaded properly.

Could this be caused by the mag? Should I contact S&W/Walthers for repair? What would cause this.

I am concerned as this is the firearm that I purchased to teach my son, but do not want him near this until these problems are solved.

Any guidance that you can offer would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #2

I'll say first off, I'm new to shooting myself, but I'll give my input anyhow

a) Is this happening with just one of the mags or with both? If it's just with one of them, I'd venture a guess that it's the magazine
b) Have you tried any other types of ammo? I've put 700 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag through my P22 with no issues

Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Calvin, you may want to check with S&W/Walther directly. They recently issued a recall for their PPK/PPKS models and this very well may be part of the same internal parts problem.

JD

Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #4

I have had a few problems with my P22, but nothing about misfeeds. I had to take the slide apart and fix the spring on the firing pin, and bend the disconnector back into place. The P22 uses less than sturdy materials for some of their parts. Unless you are adventurous and feel like risking a three hundered dollar piece of equipment to your own understanding, I would send it in to either Walther or a gunsmith.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #5

update- I took it back to the shop that I purchased and they recommended that I use the CCI Mini Mag HV. They said that the Winchester lead may be too soft at this point and that the P22 needed to be broken in. We took to their range and tried to duplicate the issue with the CCI and had no problems. I will buy a couple of hundred rounds and try to run these thru this weekend to see if that was the problem.

On a separate note the CCI did not seem as dirty as that Winchester. ANyone else had this experience?

Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

It seems to be a general census that the P22 likes CCI ammo. Mine like Federal bulk ammo just fine though. The only problems I've had with Federal is bad primers, about 1 in 100. You also need to do some serious breaking in.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Bulk .22 ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
It seems to be a general census that the P22 likes CCI ammo. Mine like Federal bulk ammo just fine though. The only problems I've had with Federal is bad primers, about 1 in 100. You also need to do some serious breaking in.
dn, I like you have had some fail to fire on bulk .22 ammo. I grew up in SW Fla., and a trick I learned down there where the heat can play havoc with any rimfire is this. Save all of those plastic 50+100 round boxes-when you buy in bulk,or bricks, place all these in saved boxes,store with bullet down. IMO the wax lube works it's way down into the powder/primer, and makes a small # of them inert. I've did this for years (30+) and have very-very few dead .22's!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default No-No to wax coated lead

Calvin, you'll find very few .22 auto pistols like the Win,Wildcat/Rem.Thunderbolt ammo. Esp. on a new gun. The wax coated lead bullet is just too prone to hang on any/all sharp edges in the action and chambers of a new gun. Do like the other guys say and use copper coated/plated rounds, at least for the break-in period of 5-700 rounds. By the way, Calvin, welcome to the forum+speak up

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
dn, I like you have had some fail to fire on bulk .22 ammo. I grew up in SW Fla., and a trick I learned down there where the heat can play havoc with any rimfire is this. Save all of those plastic 50+100 round boxes-when you buy in bulk,or bricks, place all these in saved boxes,store with bullet down. IMO the wax lube works it's way down into the powder/primer, and makes a small # of them inert. I've did this for years (30+) and have very-very few dead .22's!
Never thought about that. But GENERALLY, when I open a new 500 or 550 round box of 22lr, doesn't seem to make a difference of which manufacturer, they are packed bullets down primers up. I don't know how they manage that with all the ammo floating free.

When I do have a misfire, I wait the 10 seconds before clearing, as suggested, and believe it or not some do fire a few seconds after the misfire. If they do not fire, I eject the round and throw it in a stream that runs behind the firing line. (The stream is really handy for filling up plastic containers destined to be targets)

Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #10

Throwing the misfired round into the creek seems like a good option, but what about when you are in an indoor range? You wait the 10 seconds, remove the round and then what?