Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Walther p22 dont believe the bad reviews. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/walther-p22-dont-believe-bad-reviews-80514/)

xtommygunx 01-06-2013 04:00 PM

Walther p22 dont believe the bad reviews.

1 Attachment(s)
The bad reviews said that this gun won't feed bulk pack .22lr ammo and the accuracy lacks because of the short barrel and light weight. I have found the opposite. I had zero problems with bulk pack ammo and the accuracy was great.

TheSadPanda 01-06-2013 05:48 PM

Its great you got a quality .22. Theyre not always easy to come by. But not every gun is the same, even if they came off the same line in the same day.

kytowboater 01-06-2013 05:57 PM

We shot one extensively yesterday, proved accurate at 20-30 yards, enough to hit a can repeatedly. Fed federal match ammo, 325 bulk box with no issue, had some issue with another brand of bulk, 3 fail to feed out of 10-15 mags, not to bad for a .22.

downsouth 01-06-2013 06:05 PM

Had mine for 5 years. Enjoyed it but I have to say it is more finicky than I like my guns to be. Accuracy is very good. Still if I had it to do over again would prolly buy a mark III.

locutus 01-10-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downsouth (Post 1082743)
Had mine for 5 years. Enjoyed it but I have to say it is more finicky than I like my guns to be. Accuracy is very good. Still if I had it to do over again would prolly buy a mark III.

Apples and oranges. The Walther is a general purpose trail and plinking gun. The Mark lll is a dedicated range gun.

Olympus 01-10-2013 09:28 PM

I've never shot one, but I've been selling the heck out of them. I sell probably twice as many Walters as I do the Ruger SR22.

downsouth 01-11-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1088416)

Apples and oranges. The Walther is a general purpose trail and plinking gun. The Mark lll is a dedicated range gun.

How can you say my own drothers are apples & oranges. I understand that they both shoot 22lr, both have 10rnd mags, and are built for different applications. Still, if "I" had it to do over again, "I" would probably by a mark III.

CrazedJava 01-11-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 1088436)
I've never shot one, but I've been selling the heck out of them. I sell probably twice as many Walters as I do the Ruger SR22.

Yeah, but how much of that is "cool factor". The Walther looks like a gun James Bond used for quite a few movies but without the same cost.

I'm sure everyone can find a good gun and I question how bad some guns are. My personal jam-o-matic (not a Walther) still is 86% reliable. That is still at least one issue every 10 round magazine. Modern guns are actually pretty good.

My biggest gripe with the P22 and Mosquito is that they really are picky about ammunition. No one shooting mini-mags exclusively through a Mosquito complains. That said, why should anyone be forced to pay for high end rounds all the time. The point is .22's are supposed to be cheap.

However, I think the trick with ANY Automatic, whether it is a rimfire or centerfire, is to run different brands of ammunition through it until you find what works best.

GeneralPatton 01-11-2013 09:07 PM

I have had my P22 for about 8 years I guess now. I have had some bulk ammo that when the components got dirty I would get a few FTF's, but I bet mine has had over 10k rounds without a single replacement part and still doesn't miss a beat. I did notice that even when dirty, if I use 40gr it never fails. Anything less and the chance is roughly 5% on a ftf. I can see the wear on all the parts, yet it still performs above expectations.

Also, I had the Ruger Mark II 22/45 I believe it was. Absolutely hated it. In 7 years I put 30 rounds through it. Sold it for the worthless hunk of stainless steel "I" found it to be. I just didn't like anything about it. And it seemed to be no more accurate than the Walther when I use the 5 inch barrel.