Virginia's back ground check
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Virginia's back ground check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default Virginia's back ground check

I have lived in Virginia for 10 years now and have purchased several firearms (pistols, rifles and shotguns) with the pistols as everybody knows in VA there is a required background check, for me the wait for it to be OK'd varies from a couple hours to several days the VSP website says it is practically instantaneous or about 2 minutes or so to get okayed... well it's never been that quick but some of my gun owner buddies say it usually only takes an hour or less. I work for the federal government (GSA) so I have had my background checked at least 5 times since I have worked for them. I have no police record hell I haven't had a traffic ticket in 8 years and I paid that within 2 weeks so I was wondering why does it take so long for my BC to clear?

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2011, 04:08 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Man, weird. Here in Kansas it usually takes about as long to do the check as it does to get the check done. And the State just passed a law if you have your CCW permit, they just write the number down and there is no background check. Pretty cool I think.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I live in VA also and purchased long guns and hand guns . Sometimes it takes 10mn other times 24hrs. I've been told that even though they use your ssn or driver lic # that sometimes peoples names match the names of bg's and it makes the process longer. I also know that unless somethings changed if you're not a ccw holder you can only buy 1 handgun per month, if you hold a ccw I think you can buy as many as you want. Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8850 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

RJ- The VCIN system has been overloaded recently- several dealers have told me they expect this to be the record year for sales.

Some of us with clearances suspect that the clearance itself creates a "burble" in the data stream. Computer is happily checking thru it's "yes/no" decision tree, when it encounters link to the clearance checks, and detours off scouting THAT system.

One possibility- check w/ Virginia State Police about being assigned a UPIN. That number is entered on the 4473 at question 9. If you are unfortunate enuff to have parents that named you John Dillinger, Charles Manson, or John Hinkley, you are GOING to get delayed. Have a friend that retired from the Richmond VA PD- his name was "John Smith". Know how many of them there are?

A Virginia concealed carry permit does not allow you to skip the background check. It DOES allow you more than 1 handgun a month.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #5

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
RJ
Have a friend that retired from the Richmond VA PD- his name was "John Smith". Know how many of them there are?
My pop's had a friend that was a Washington State policeman named Donald B. Cooper. Guess who he got a visit from?

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 12-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Man u guys all suck.. Here in ny I gotta wait 6 months for my background check to clear. Hell I can't even go into a gun shop and touch a pistol without a permit. Ohh and u gotta be 21 here too so I'm looking forward to my birthday next oct.. Could care less about drinking, I want my pistol!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #7

The VSP have supposibly streamlined there background checks, but I have heard that they actually raised the rates and cut staffing. There is an org called VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League) Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL) That has done wonders to preserve are 2nd Amendment rights here in VA. I ask any of you that live here in VA and own any firearm to look them up and join.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8850 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Second the motion on VCDL. Hav been a member for 3 years. Yes, VSP cut staff and budget.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
Man u guys all suck.. Here in ny I gotta wait 6 months for my background check to clear. Hell I can't even go into a gun shop and touch a pistol without a permit. Ohh and u gotta be 21 here too so I'm looking forward to my birthday next oct.. Could care less about drinking, I want my pistol!
hockey, 21 is federal law on handguns and 18 on long guns. every state has that.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My background checks were instant until I was involved in an incident.... then they were delayed for a day, kind of a bummer as I would have to go to the gunshop twice. After a couple of years of delays they now are back to approving my purchases on the spot