Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > USP .45 vs. XD .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default USP .45 vs. XD .45

Which is the better weapon? The USP gets 12 to a mag, and the XD gets 13, so that's not really an issue to me. The question is: which one is the altogether better weapon? This goes in terms of reliability, longevity, accuracy, and so on. Thanks for any answers!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It would be a tough decision between these 2, but I'd personally rather have the XD. I like the trigger on XDs that have been tuned, they have grip safety, and still offer available manual safety. There's a rapidly growing aftermarket business evolving around the XD, and since I rarely leave a handgun as is, the XD gets the nod.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #3

I'm new to handguns. I only have experience with machine guns and assault rifles, so I don't know much about modifying them, but I'm sure I'll learn. Thank you for your reply.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say the XD(m) 45 ACP. Oh wait, Springfield hasn't decided to grace us with this pistol yet.

I'm with stalkingbear on this one, tough choice as both are very well made handguns. I think this might come down to personal preference when you hold them in your hands. The XD will fight smaller hands better.

Good Luck, and I think you'll be happy with either choice.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have no experience with the USP but I do have 2 XDs and love them both. They are simple to use and reliable as a rock. I'd go with the XD!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-16-2009, 05:28 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

smiter, 2/16/09

I own an HK USP-compact .45 and have fired a few XD's, though not enough to have an informed opinion on them. I also have a number of other .45's including Beretta, SW 3rd generation, Sigs, and Springer 1911's. The HK's are well known for being reliable, accurate and durable over time. They are also well known for having one of the worst double-action triggers around (long, heavy, and stacks severely before firing), having poor customer service and great difficulty in obtaining aftermarket parts. The prices on the HK's are usually much higher than a comparable quality pistol (Glock, Springfield, SW, etc.) and mags are usually about fifty dollars a piece.

So while I like my HK USP-.45 compact I think you could do just as well with another brand and avoid paying the price-premium for the HK name brand. Hope this helps.

best wishes- oldandslow