Used Dan Wesson
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Used Dan Wesson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Used Dan Wesson

I took the plunge today and put a used Dan Wesson .357 Magnum with a 8" barell on layaway, I also traded a used S&W Sigma with (5) 16 round mags.

The gunshop owner gave me $265 for it and the Dan Wesson was listed for $489.99.

I got gobs of questions fer yall.

1) Supposed the barell can be removed and another can be attached.
How is this done?

2) This gun came with a 2" shroud but no barell. How many other barells are made for this?

3)I would like to have a 2", 3-4", and a 6" barell. How much do these cost?

4) Did I do good or did I git burned?

A huge Thank You to all of you who have given me solid answers to my many questions.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9157 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

To change barrels, a tool is inserted in the muzzle, and the nut with the two grooves in it is unscrewed from the barrel. The shroud will now slide forward and off. Barrel can be unscrewed with fingertips. New barrel is screwed into frame until it bottoms out on a .006 feeler Gauge between barrel and cylinder face. Slide shroud over barrel, snug barrel nut up.

Barrels are available for CZ, who took over DW. Go play on their website, see what you find. And get the tool for the barrel nut. They are not cheap, but good barrels. In .357, have seen 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 inch barrels. Shrouds can be light, heavy, Vented (rib) Heavy.

IMHO, these were under appreciated revolvers, built like a tank, very accurate. Some folks feel the barrel system, which actually places barrel under tension between frame and muzzle is superior to standard setup. I have one I have been shooting since 1976.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Where is CA357??

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I heart Dan Wesson .357s. They seem to be rugged, reliable and accurate. You paid a little more than would have, but I'm a notorious cheapskate. My cousin bought a Pistol Pack containing 2 3/4, 4, 6, and 8" barrels with the frame and I think 2 grips for $800 at a gun show in Eagle River about 18 mos ago. He saw it first or I'd have been there.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Go quickly to The Dan Wesson Forum and all questions will be answered. While you are there, sign the petition to get these revolvers back into production. Barrels are sometimes found on Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com and CZ still has them as well. While .006" is the "standard" barrel gap, you can go as low as .0015" as long as you are willing to clean the cylinder face periodically. (My DW's are set at .002") Further info can be obtained here: Dan Wesson Revolvers

Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Also note that there are 2 configurations of DW's, the older porkchop style and the later modern style. CZ still supports the later style...

Old 06-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

They are rock solid and and quality revolvers. I think you did pretty good for the price if it's in nice condition. Barrels are easy to find, just get the tools required. Enjoy your new sixgun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-26-2010, 01:23 AM   #8

Default Dan Wesson Barrels

I have a 4" barrel with shroud but no locking nut or front sight in excellent cond. I also have a 6" with everything. I am wanting to trade for and 8" vent. or larger. Do you know of anyone interested? Thanks.

P.S. I hope this is the right place to post this reply. If not please move it to the proper place. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:21 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

There are used barrels on some auction sites. I've seen a few at Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation has some parts as well.

I think you will enjoy the DW.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)