Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Used Dan Wesson (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/used-dan-wesson-27883/)

WannaGator 06-03-2010 09:36 PM

Used Dan Wesson

I took the plunge today and put a used Dan Wesson .357 Magnum with a 8" barell on layaway, I also traded a used S&W Sigma with (5) 16 round mags.

The gunshop owner gave me $265 for it and the Dan Wesson was listed for $489.99.

I got gobs of questions fer yall.

1) Supposed the barell can be removed and another can be attached.
How is this done?

2) This gun came with a 2" shroud but no barell. How many other barells are made for this?

3)I would like to have a 2", 3-4", and a 6" barell. How much do these cost?

4) Did I do good or did I git burned?

A huge Thank You to all of you who have given me solid answers to my many questions.

c3shooter 06-04-2010 01:13 AM

To change barrels, a tool is inserted in the muzzle, and the nut with the two grooves in it is unscrewed from the barrel. The shroud will now slide forward and off. Barrel can be unscrewed with fingertips. New barrel is screwed into frame until it bottoms out on a .006 feeler Gauge between barrel and cylinder face. Slide shroud over barrel, snug barrel nut up.

Barrels are available for CZ, who took over DW. Go play on their website, see what you find. And get the tool for the barrel nut. They are not cheap, but good barrels. In .357, have seen 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 inch barrels. Shrouds can be light, heavy, Vented (rib) Heavy.

IMHO, these were under appreciated revolvers, built like a tank, very accurate. Some folks feel the barrel system, which actually places barrel under tension between frame and muzzle is superior to standard setup. I have one I have been shooting since 1976.

dunerunner 06-04-2010 01:16 AM

Where is CA357??

freefall 06-04-2010 02:17 AM

I heart Dan Wesson .357s. They seem to be rugged, reliable and accurate. You paid a little more than would have, but I'm a notorious cheapskate. My cousin bought a Pistol Pack containing 2 3/4, 4, 6, and 8" barrels with the frame and I think 2 grips for $800 at a gun show in Eagle River about 18 mos ago. He saw it first or I'd have been there.

crossfire 06-04-2010 12:49 PM

Go quickly to The Dan Wesson Forum and all questions will be answered. While you are there, sign the petition to get these revolvers back into production. Barrels are sometimes found on Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com and CZ still has them as well. While .006" is the "standard" barrel gap, you can go as low as .0015" as long as you are willing to clean the cylinder face periodically. (My DW's are set at .002") Further info can be obtained here: Dan Wesson Revolvers

NGIB 06-04-2010 01:04 PM

Also note that there are 2 configurations of DW's, the older porkchop style and the later modern style. CZ still supports the later style...

CA357 06-04-2010 03:25 PM

They are rock solid and and quality revolvers. I think you did pretty good for the price if it's in nice condition. Barrels are easy to find, just get the tools required. Enjoy your new sixgun. :cool:

ADDABAZAY 09-26-2010 01:23 AM

Dan Wesson Barrels

I have a 4" barrel with shroud but no locking nut or front sight in excellent cond. I also have a 6" with everything. I am wanting to trade for and 8" vent. or larger. Do you know of anyone interested? Thanks.

P.S. I hope this is the right place to post this reply. If not please move it to the proper place. Thanks.

danf_fl 09-26-2010 05:21 AM

There are used barrels on some auction sites. I've seen a few at Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation has some parts as well.

I think you will enjoy the DW.