Up in arms - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Up in arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dang Mark, we have consignment firearms that have been at the shop for years and you should be able to trust your local firearms store owner. The public should not have to afraid when dealing with professionals.

Maybe I shouldn't leave my money in the banks so long either. Firearms dealers should be held to the same professional standards as bankers. They put bankers in jail for fraud don't they?

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Sorry man, but this is blatantly stupid on your part. Leaving ANYTHING (let alone a gun) for more than 30 days is just plain ludicrous. There are literally thousands of Gun Smiths out there. Most are honest hard working people looking to provide quality work at a reasonable price, in a reasonable time frame.

You do need to report this to the BBB, and the police. I'm surprised that POS is still in business... but again, you let it happen.
WOW That was not very nice at all.

I trusted my home town store a lot when it was in business. They were straight shooters as 99% of the shooting community is.

Sounds like the OP doesn't do much with firearms to begin with and may have not known that a job like his should only take a few weeks.

While I was in the military I had to move posts. Fort Hood to Fort Sam. My car wasn't lic and a buddy had crashed it for me. I took it to a dealership and said look I want a new blue ford Ranger 4x4 extended cab and I am trading in my car I have $3500 for a down payment. I have to go out of town for a 3 days then I will be back to pick up the truck and drop off my payment. So I leave call the next day and he is working on my deal I get back 3 days later and no car no truck and he tells me to EFF OFF. Even the manager and owner tell me that. Dude says he never seen be before and never seen the car. When I reached over and lifted his desk calendar there was the key to my car. Still I got saddled with no car no new car and to top it all off some how even though I never missed a payment i was saddled with a repo on my credit. It took me 3 years to get it all take care of.

Was it smart on my part NO I didn't know it wasn't because I talked to this guy 4 or 5 times in the matter of a week about this deal. Was it smart of the OP no. But, it doesn't make it right on either account.

You place trust in people till they prove you can't. Well he proved he couldn't be trusted. I am sure I would be telling all the people I knew in the area that he is untrustworthy and a thief.

Other than that see C3shooters post and do what he says. Feds don't like sloppy records keeping in the gun business.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

#1 Contact your PD and report the theft, Let the smith prove he didn't steal it. Federal Regulations required the Gun Smith to keep bound book entries regarding when the gun came into the shop and exactly who it went out to. If the dealer won't produce them for you or the local police (allowable in some states), call ATF and get them interested. They will probably be very happy to give your local PD a hand on that issue. [See that? ATF does have a useful purpose after all.]

#2 Becoming a gunsmith is literally (in many states) as buying a business license and paying a fee to ATF. Instant expert as soon as the shop open sign hits the store window. I have personal experience with an instant gunsmith of that type who opened a local store, took guns in for consignment and repair, then swapped them to non-qualified people for some crystal and the use of a few friendly women while stalling the owners. Not my guns TG, but I did know the owners. Many of those guns still have yet to show up. Yes, he got arrested, but so what? The guns are gone. Some of the owners have since died of old age waiting for their guns to surface.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #14

As already stated,

You Need to Report it Stolen to the PD (CYA)

Second: You need to (In Writting) contact the BATFE with an explanation of what happened, Include the Dealers Name/Address naturally, along with a copy of the Claim check.

In the end, Your gun is probably a complete loss, But You will prevent this "Dealer/Gunsmith" from ripping off somebody else.

2-3 years turn around is way too long for even having a house built, You will have to chalk this up to a life lesson learned. Of course once You start putting the Pressure on this guy, He may "Find" your firearm.

Good Luck and don't let another day pass before taking action. Be sure to explain to the PD/BATFE exactly what transpired, I'm sure somebody will be visiting this guy to go over his record books, licensing etc...

~ TJB

Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Dang Mark, we have consignment firearms that have been at the shop for years and you should be able to trust your local firearms store owner. The public should not have to afraid when dealing with professionals.

Maybe I shouldn't leave my money in the banks so long either. Firearms dealers should be held to the same professional standards as bankers. They put bankers in jail for fraud don't they?
Hunter Joe,

Trust has absolutely nothing to do with it.

It's strictly about traceability and accountability, just like your Bank, your Mortgage, your car title, your credit cards, your drivers license, your Social Security, and anything else that documents your existence, your ownership, and your transactions.

Trust is "nice", (I wish there was more of it) however it doesn't provide accountability or traceability... meaning that you are "potentially" setting yourself up to be another VICTIM.

TRUST is the number one cause of LAWS.