Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Up in arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Up in arms

I need advice. About three years ago, my dad gave me his 22 cal. pistol my mother gave to him on thier 1 year anniversary (about 1958). The gun had a little pitting on the metal and the hammer would pull back extremly hard. I took the gun to a local gun shop to have it repaired and reblued. I have brought guns to this shop on 2-3 diferent occasion for the same thing and he usually has the guns for 2-3 years. Not a big deal as i dont use the guns anyway, I just like to have my dads and grandads guns. Well in the first two years, I called a couple of times and he said it was not done yet and he would call when done. another 1 - 1 1/2 years went by so i stopped in to check on it. The gun shop owner tells me he does not have the gun and does not know what i am talking about. I have the claim check for when I dropped the gun off, when I showed this to him he said that he has not used those claim checks for years and someone else must have picked up the gun. It is a gun that is not worth much but my mother gave it to my dad, that is worth alot to me. Can anyone give me advise on what to do next? Is the claim check that I have worth anything? Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #2

Liked 666 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 46

No advice for you but I wish you the best of luck man.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would let the shop owner know that i was planning to report the pistol stolen. I wouldn't want a pistol roaming around free that could be traced back to me, eventually.

I would also look for a 'smith with more of his time to work on projects rather than wasting more of my time. crappy luck, sorry.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #4

I agree, i would report the gun stolen at least. If the shop keeps records of who bought guns, then maybe they can trace the person who purchased it. With that being said, the shop would be at fault, not the customer. A tough lesson learned i guess

Old 08-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #5

Default Me too

I so definitely agree, that pistol can get you in trouble, report to the police immediately. I you have to sign an affidavit, that will help you just in case

Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8407 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

First, you need another smith. Mine just did a reblue in 30 days.

Second, advise the smith (IN WRITING) that he has 5 working days to find your gun. After that, you intend to file a stolen report with local law enforcement, and to notify the BATFE. Chose words carefully, keep a copy.

A smith is required to maintain records of any firearms he keeps more than one day. They have to be logged in and out. IF a gun is returned to ANYONE other than the person that gave it to him in the first place, he legally must treat it as a transfer (just like if you bought a gun). That means a form 4473 that he must retain for 20 years, background check, etc.

Third- the draft you feel is this person puffing sunshine up your skirt. If I went to a mechanic that was restoring my car, and he said "Gee, I don't have it. Someone else must have picked it up.", I WOULD have satisfaction.

In the case of your "gunsmith", I would have my gun- repaired or not, or I would have his license so that he can not pull this crap with someone else.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #7

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First, you need another smith. Mine just did a reblue in 30 days.

Second, advise the smith (IN WRITING) that he has 5 working days to find your gun. After that, you intend to file a stolen report with local law enforcement, and to notify the BATFE. Chose words carefully, keep a copy.

A smith is required to maintain records of any firearms he keeps more than one day. They have to be logged in and out. IF a gun is returned to ANYONE other than the person that gave it to him in the first place, he legally must treat it as a transfer (just like if you bought a gun). That means a form 4473 that he must retain for 20 years, background check, etc.

Third- the draft you feel is this person puffing sunshine up your skirt. If I went to a mechanic that was restoring my car, and he said "Gee, I don't have it. Someone else must have picked it up.", I WOULD have satisfaction.

In the case of your "gunsmith", I would have my gun- repaired or not, or I would have his license so that he can not pull this crap with someone else.
That sounds like wise advice to me!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:52 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At the shop I work at we log every firearm in and out and maintain the records for years. c3shooter hit the nail squarely on the head with his post.

Don't be intimidated by the shop owner and don't let the SOB get away with it. I'd promise the store owner that I'd be contacting the Feds and bitching up a $hit storm. The Feds don't look kindly on lost or misplaced firearms in gun stores.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #9

Thanks guys, I will do just that. Appreciate the input.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp72 View Post
I need advice. About three years ago, my dad gave me his 22 cal. pistol my mother gave to him on thier 1 year anniversary (about 1958). The gun had a little pitting on the metal and the hammer would pull back extremly hard. I took the gun to a local gun shop to have it repaired and reblued. I have brought guns to this shop on 2-3 diferent occasion for the same thing and he usually has the guns for 2-3 years. Not a big deal as i dont use the guns anyway, I just like to have my dads and grandads guns. Well in the first two years, I called a couple of times and he said it was not done yet and he would call when done. another 1 - 1 1/2 years went by so i stopped in to check on it. The gun shop owner tells me he does not have the gun and does not know what i am talking about. I have the claim check for when I dropped the gun off, when I showed this to him he said that he has not used those claim checks for years and someone else must have picked up the gun. It is a gun that is not worth much but my mother gave it to my dad, that is worth alot to me. Can anyone give me advise on what to do next? Is the claim check that I have worth anything? Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry man, but this is blatantly stupid on your part. Leaving ANYTHING (let alone a gun) for more than 30 days is just plain ludicrous. There are literally thousands of Gun Smiths out there. Most are honest hard working people looking to provide quality work at a reasonable price, in a reasonable time frame.

You do need to report this to the BBB, and the police. I'm surprised that POS is still in business... but again, you let it happen.