Unfounded bashing & rumors - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Unfounded bashing & rumors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
A slide release in a 1911 takes a battering every time the gun fires. I have personally seen MIM slide releases fail - so I will not have MIM parts in what I consider high stress areas. To me this is just good sense and it's not bashing or rumor. It doesn't cost much to upgrade and it's cheaper than buying a high-end no MIM 1911.
My MIM slide release equipped Kimber Compact II have over 15k rounds on the factory slide release. It has a small amount of the finish worn off of the axle, but has zero signs of mechanical wear.

MIM being low quality is an internet myth. MIM parts are now used in aircraft, some being military, combat aircraft. Also, MIM metallurgy can be superior to alloyed metallurgy, as, especially with cheaply alloyed, foreign steels, the alloy can be easily weakened by low QC on the alloying process.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm a machinist by trade and work for Pratt & Whitney refurbishing jet engine parts. These include military as well as commercial jets. Most of the repairs are done using welding, plasma, or nickel and they are made up of alot of MIM parts , yet they still manage to withstand ALOT more abuse than any firearm ever will. Even the 718 inconel parts can crack and have vioids from heat treatment.

I think it's ok for your firearm to have mim parts on it, just not in the areas you consider important. Like JD said, the problems comes from voids which you shouldn't have if the part is forged and heat treated right.

The manufactures should have x-raay and fluorescent penetrate inspection to catch those mistakes.
CZ's have mim parts and I have never heard of or read an issue with them.

I also agree with not spreading the rumors. Many people will read or watch on youtube someone spilling out information as if it were fact, when they actually have no idea what they're talking about. Remember the guy who was showing people how to unlock the slide of his xd by slamming it down on a table, "this is how you fix this." ROFL!!! I wonder how many xd bangers that created?