Undecided on a carry weapon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Undecided on a carry weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Undecided on a carry weapon

I need a little guidance and I want an oppinion besides my husband and Dad. I am female and I am looking for a good carry weapon. I currently carry the Ruger LCP and I like it, however I dont feel completely comfortable shooting it because of its size. I find it difficult to really get a grip on the gun, that makes me uncomfortable. I have a walther p22 for back yard shooting and I am in love with it. Thats brings me to the PK 380.. any feedback on this gun would be great! How bad is the recoil..ect.. It is an expensive gun and I am not going to go on a massive gun search for one until I know EVERYTHING about it. If anyone has shot a p22 and a PK 380.. is the grip as similar as they say it is?? I have also been looking at a few Lady Smiths..

Just any feedback for a good carry weapon I would love to hear, but I am really curious about the PK.

Thanks!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

My wife loves her P22 so I bought her a PK380 and she likes that one as well. It is softer shooting than the LCP as it's larger and affords a better full hand grip. The tiny guns, while being really easy to conceal, are difficult to shoot well. My normal carry is a Sig P238 as I value ease of concealment more than raw power...

Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #3

I carry a BIG purse.. an advantage that guys don't have. =)

Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Purse carry is not a great idea - purses are targets for a snatch & grab and then they have your gun...

Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There are carry purses

Designer Concealed Carry Purse - Glacier - Magills.com

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

If I were a woman, I would want one that I could get my hand into without too much trouble.

As far as a carry pistol, choose one that is comfortable and 9mm or larger. A .38 special, 9mm, .40 S&W, etc. Be sure if it is a semi-auto you can rack the slide easily. Revolvers are a good choice, too. Shoot 'em, handle them, make sure they will do the job and you are confident you can use it if necessary.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 11-22-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I highly recommend this site: Cornered Cat. Its author is a woman with great insight into firearms from a woman's point of view. Browse around the whole site; there's lots of good info.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I have to say the Glock 19 is ideal for me, it's large enough to have a decent weight to counter the recoil (which as a 9mm isn't that bad to begin with) but compact enough to comfortably sit in a decent IWB holster (I personally use Fist Inc Kydex iwb). For me that is the perfect carry weapon

Glaine ár gcroí, neart ár ngéag agus beart de réir ár mbriathar - ARW
(The cleanliness of our hearts, the strength of our limbs and our commitment to our promise)

Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5505 Times on 2873 Posts
Likes Given: 357

my wife chose the bersa thunder 7 rounder. i have a pair of thunder plus 15 rounders as well. its basically a better version of the PPK/s. but compairing my colt new agent to the ppk/s style the new agent in 45ACP is easier to control and has a better amount of grip. it also comes in 9mm. i would recomend finding a range that rents guns even if you have to drive a bit and try before you buy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since you gravitate towards Walthers, before you commit you better take a look at the Walther PPS 9mm. It's dimensions are comparable to the PK380 but it's thinner. A lot of people are liking it a lot... About $200 more but it's 9mm!

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you would consider a wheel gun take a look at the Lady Smith. It`s a 5 shot 38 sp revolver.

Catfish
Ohio