Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Undecided on a carry weapon (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/undecided-carry-weapon-34642/)

ChickyD 11-22-2010 04:51 PM

Undecided on a carry weapon

I need a little guidance and I want an oppinion besides my husband and Dad. I am female and I am looking for a good carry weapon. I currently carry the Ruger LCP and I like it, however I dont feel completely comfortable shooting it because of its size. I find it difficult to really get a grip on the gun, that makes me uncomfortable. I have a walther p22 for back yard shooting and I am in love with it. Thats brings me to the PK 380.. any feedback on this gun would be great! How bad is the recoil..ect.. It is an expensive gun and I am not going to go on a massive gun search for one until I know EVERYTHING about it. If anyone has shot a p22 and a PK 380.. is the grip as similar as they say it is?? I have also been looking at a few Lady Smiths..

Just any feedback for a good carry weapon I would love to hear, but I am really curious about the PK.

Thanks!!

NGIB 11-22-2010 04:57 PM

My wife loves her P22 so I bought her a PK380 and she likes that one as well. It is softer shooting than the LCP as it's larger and affords a better full hand grip. The tiny guns, while being really easy to conceal, are difficult to shoot well. My normal carry is a Sig P238 as I value ease of concealment more than raw power...

ChickyD 11-22-2010 05:04 PM

I carry a BIG purse.. an advantage that guys don't have. =)

NGIB 11-22-2010 05:12 PM

Purse carry is not a great idea - purses are targets for a snatch & grab and then they have your gun...

dunerunner 11-22-2010 05:20 PM

There are carry purses

Designer Concealed Carry Purse - Glacier - Magills.com

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

If I were a woman, I would want one that I could get my hand into without too much trouble.

As far as a carry pistol, choose one that is comfortable and 9mm or larger. A .38 special, 9mm, .40 S&W, etc. Be sure if it is a semi-auto you can rack the slide easily. Revolvers are a good choice, too. Shoot 'em, handle them, make sure they will do the job and you are confident you can use it if necessary.

utf59 11-22-2010 06:08 PM

I highly recommend this site: Cornered Cat. Its author is a woman with great insight into firearms from a woman's point of view. Browse around the whole site; there's lots of good info.

Greebo 11-22-2010 06:27 PM

I have to say the Glock 19 is ideal for me, it's large enough to have a decent weight to counter the recoil (which as a 9mm isn't that bad to begin with) but compact enough to comfortably sit in a decent IWB holster (I personally use Fist Inc Kydex iwb). For me that is the perfect carry weapon

JonM 11-22-2010 06:45 PM

my wife chose the bersa thunder 7 rounder. i have a pair of thunder plus 15 rounders as well. its basically a better version of the PPK/s. but compairing my colt new agent to the ppk/s style the new agent in 45ACP is easier to control and has a better amount of grip. it also comes in 9mm. i would recomend finding a range that rents guns even if you have to drive a bit and try before you buy.

Alchemist 11-22-2010 10:19 PM

Since you gravitate towards Walthers, before you commit you better take a look at the Walther PPS 9mm. It's dimensions are comparable to the PK380 but it's thinner. A lot of people are liking it a lot... About $200 more but it's 9mm!

Catfish 11-22-2010 11:04 PM

If you would consider a wheel gun take a look at the Lady Smith. It`s a 5 shot 38 sp revolver.