Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > U.S. LE using 40 s&w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2202 Times on 1264 Posts
Likes Given: 1791

Just because the U.S. LE jumped off the 40S&W Glock

bridge, are you going to, also?

Here's a bunch of almost intelligent, pretty much on-the-ball

guys, throwing away 100 years of dependable 9mm and 45ACP

service and usage value & experience for some Johnny-come-lately

round with almost no service history whatsoever.

Not only do they flush the round count of 9mm, but also the

legendary stopping power of the 45ACP.

Go figure...

Old 12-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #22
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2285 Times on 1365 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

There is something to be said about using the same firearm for SD or HD that the LEOs use for patrol duty.

I've been using the .45ACP in a 1911 even before some of our forum members were even a glint in their father's eyes.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 12-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16977 Times on 9833 Posts
Likes Given: 44230

i have owned at least one pistol chambered in 40 for over 20 years now. i also own many other calibers as well.

i view the 40 as a compromise in size and energy. it's not as fast as the 9mm, but is faster than the 45. it's not as big as the 45, but it is bigger than the 9mm. less ammo capacity than the 9mm, but still more than the 45.

but all of that is totally irrelevent in the grand scheme of things if a person can't shoot accurately. the 9mm works just fine and will if a person hits their intended target. but so will a 45 and so will a 40. going bigger will not compensate for lack of accurate shooting.

i like the 40. some people think the 40 was invented to solve a problem that didn't exist. well, i still like the 40 and will continue to own one as long as they make guns in 40.

that's the nice thing about having choices. they make guns in all different calibers. choose the one that suits you or you are comfortable with. the fact that LE have the 40 is totally irrelevent to me. i like the 40 so i own a 40 is the only justification i need to make to myself.

People Like This 
Old 12-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1442 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

i like the 40. some people think the 40 was invented to solve a problem that didn't exist. well, i still like the 40 and will continue to own one as long as they make guns in 40.

that's the nice thing about having choices. they make guns in all different calibers. choose the one that suits you or you are comfortable with. the fact that LE have the 40 is totally irrelevent to me. i like the 40 so i own a 40 is the only justification i need to make to myself.
c'mon Axxe....can't you tell this is going to turn into another never-ending caliber peeing contest no matter what logic you or anyone else attempts to introduce?
Old 12-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16977 Times on 9833 Posts
Likes Given: 44230

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
c'mon Axxe....can't you tell this is going to turn into another never-ending caliber peeing contest no matter what logic you or anyone else attempts to introduce?
hmmmmm.......mine is bigger than your?

Old 12-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #26
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2911 Times on 1716 Posts

Hey glocknloaded, you play bf4? I'm pretty sure I took your dogtags the other day. Lol

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #27

Liked 115 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 40

One good thing I noticed about 40. It was always on the shelves during the last 12 months while 9mm was impossible to find.

Its one reason why my next handgun may be a 40.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2285 Times on 1365 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360 View Post
One good thing I noticed about 40. It was always on the shelves during the last 12 months while 9mm was impossible to find.

Its one reason why my next handgun may be a 40.
Wasn't the .38 Special on more shelves?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 12-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #29

Liked 104 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The main reason so many other countries use the 9mm is because they've been doing so for many, many years. It was invented in Germany in 1902 and was quickly adopted by the German military and spread from there. The reason our military didn't follow suit is because we had our own military handgun round, the .45acp. As for LE use it wasn't until very recently that police agencies began issuing semi-auto pistols for duty service. Thirty years ago most cops in the US carried either .38 special or .357 magnum revolvers. By the time most police departments began to transition from revolvers to semi-autos we had better choices available than the 9mm. The infamous Miami shootout had already happened and the FBI had adopted the 40 S&W so the choices were between .45, .40 and 9mm. Since the 1911 is a more complicated firearm than a revolver and only holds 1 more round it never made sense for a police dept. to issue the 1911 vs a .357 revolver. But with the introduction of the 40S&W they now had the option of a semi-auto that offered the magazine capacity advantage of a 9mm with superior ballistic performance (not superior to .357 but superior to 9mm). And since the round had performed so well in FBI testing it seemed like a no-brainer. A police dept. could replace its revolvers with a semi-auto that offered superior firepower with better ballistic performance than a .38 special and only a marginal compromise from .357. Yes, a lot of police agencies are transitioning away from the 40 in favor of the 9mm but I suspect that has a lot to do with affordability. Ammo technology has improved dramatically in recent years so today's 9mm round is way more effective than what was available 30 years ago. A large agency can save quite a bit of money on ammo by switching to 9mm without really losing that much in terms of effectiveness. For example, the NYC Police Dept. has over 40,000 officers and from what I've been told their duty round is the 9mm +p Speer Gold Dot. Not as powerful as the 165 grain Gold Dot in 40S&W but still an excellent round. Imagine how much money they save with that many officers in their dept.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3690 Times on 2277 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
I would add that the U.S. Coast Guard is the first Uniformed Service to adopt the .40 S&W service wide. Hollow points for L.E. duty and Ball for military. They carry Sigs.
The Coast Guard falls under the DoD during a time of war, but under the DoT during a time of peace. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Just because the U.S. LE jumped off the 40S&W Glock

bridge, are you going to, also?

Here's a bunch of almost intelligent, pretty much on-the-ball

guys, throwing away 100 years of dependable 9mm and 45ACP

service and usage value & experience for some Johnny-come-lately

round with almost no service history whatsoever.

Not only do they flush the round count of 9mm, but also the

legendary stopping power of the 45ACP.

Go figure...
I agree with 9mm and .45 ACP being battle-proven rounds. The problem is, if we followed your logic, no new calibers could ever become battle-proven. "We've already got two good calibers. Why do we need another?"

Always have clean socks.

Newest Threads