U.S. LE using 40 s&w - Page 28
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

U.S. LE using 40 s&w


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #271
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,151
Liked 4622 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 2339

Default

That, and the mother of all heartburns caused by Indian food from the motel pantry. You got me square.
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #272
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wittmeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The state for Lovers
Posts: 1,097
Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter
Sense of humor alert! Please bring your with next time
Oh, The Big Toe! I remember him!

U.S. LE using 40 s&w - General Handgun Discussion
__________________
NRA Member - Over 5,000,000 strong!
Criminals don't discriminate. They will attack anywhere!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
wittmeba is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 AM   #273
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Modern ballistics have sort rendered this issue mute. Here is a fact, in a gun fight, no one is going to stand there like a target at a shooting range. So, there goes the argument for a .45 when you can only put 7-10 rounds in most traditional 1911. Same capacity issues for the .40. The final fact is this unless your wild bill Hickock with a gun and get a head shot or heart shot In One shot, your going to need multiple rounds. In a gun fight, most people are stopped by the lose of blood not by a single shot to a vital organ. I would rather take my chances with 16-18 rounds that have little kick than try to fight back with 8-10 short range, high muzzle flip guns. That does not mean I dislike the .45. As I love my 1911. Plus, the military went with the 9 for the cost of ammo, capacity, reliability and ease of operation. Anyone who has ever had to tear down a 1911 knows that they will at some point launch the barrel bushing across the room. Just my thoughts. The M9 can be broke down with one hand. Some guy in the Corp had a desert eagle .50 cal hand gun. He made a great point. He said he couldn't hit **** with it. But it was so intimidating that he would fire it once then follow the poop trail and kill them with his 9mm .
CZfanatic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #274
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bamashooter68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: cullman,alabama
Posts: 601
Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Default

Anyone who shoots their .45 a lot can get multiple shots on target with no problem. I will stick with my short range .45 and you can have your long range 9mm. BTW, I have shot at and hit targets at 100yrds with my 3.25'' barreled .45. You guys who shoot 9 and 40's rock on. Its all about personal preference and how well you handle what you shoot.
bamashooter68 is offline  
MaineMan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #275
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I love 1911 .45. For home defense, I typically keep my kimber pro carry crimson near by. It shoots dead balls on. I agree with you you that it comes down to personal preference. I wish I was a better shot with a pistol, but put a m4 or barret .50 in my hands and that story changes. So for me in a pistol fight, it will probably come down to capacity. My hat is off to you for your ability to hit long range with a .45.
CZfanatic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #276
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,495
Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
. . . . I will stick with my short range .45 and you can have your long range 9mm . . . .
long range 9mm?? Wha?
__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
"Tres verbo dictom"
Vincine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #277
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North West,Maine
Posts: 384
Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZfanatic View Post
Modern ballistics have sort rendered this issue mute. Here is a fact, in a gun fight, no one is going to stand there like a target at a shooting range. So, there goes the argument for a .45 when you can only put 7-10 rounds in most traditional 1911. Same capacity issues for the .40. The final fact is this unless your wild bill Hickock with a gun and get a head shot or heart shot In One shot, your going to need multiple rounds. In a gun fight, most people are stopped by the lose of blood not by a single shot to a vital organ. I would rather take my chances with 16-18 rounds that have little kick than try to fight back with 8-10 short range, high muzzle flip guns. That does not mean I dislike the .45. As I love my 1911. Plus, the military went with the 9 for the cost of ammo, capacity, reliability and ease of operation. Anyone who has ever had to tear down a 1911 knows that they will at some point launch the barrel bushing across the room. Just my thoughts. The M9 can be broke down with one hand. Some guy in the Corp had a desert eagle .50 cal hand gun. He made a great point. He said he couldn't hit **** with it. But it was so intimidating that he would fire it once then follow the poop trail and kill them with his 9mm .

I watched a documentary about John Browning, they stated in the program that Browning said before he died, "when I created the High Power I did everything I should have done with the 1911" evidently Browning thought the 45 to have more power than a regular citizen needed.
MaineMan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #278
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 3,206
Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan
I watched a documentary about John Browning, they stated in the program that Browning said before he died, "when I created the High Power I did everything I should have done with the 1911" evidently Browning thought the 45 to have more power than a regular citizen needed.
I'm sure he may have felt that way in 1855. This is 2014. Ballistics technology and bullet manufacturing has had 159 years to improve.
__________________
"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"
DeltaF is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #279
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

The sad truth is, more people are killed every year in a violent confrontation by a .22 than any other round. I know, it is because more criminals have a .22 and they are the most widely sold caliber. Just saying, most people in a gun fight bleed to death than are killed by a single fatal shot. Ballistics wise, the argument will continue to rage on. We now added .40 to the old 9mm verses .45. I tend to stick to what bama said. What ever makes your socks go up and down. Did any of read the article about the new sniper .50 cal? Apparently it has all of the tech in it except wind conditions to hit the gong on the first shot at 1k 70% of the time. It can be yours for the starting price of 22k. One of my buddies still in said the mil bought a few and are putting them through testing. So much for all the hard core training and washing out of these
CZfanatic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #280
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 147
Liked 118 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
long range 9mm?? Wha?
That's what I was thinking. I can shoot just as accurately long range with a 1911 as I can with a 9mm as long as I take my time between shots. I carry a 9mm more than anything else but it certainly isn't for long range accuracy.
blackxpress is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes




Newest Threads