U.S. LE using 40 s&w - Page 28
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

U.S. LE using 40 s&w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #271
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4622 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 2339

That, and the mother of all heartburns caused by Indian food from the motel pantry. You got me square.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #272

Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter
Sense of humor alert! Please bring your with next time
Oh, The Big Toe! I remember him!

U.S. LE using 40 s&w - General Handgun Discussion

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 AM   #273

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Modern ballistics have sort rendered this issue mute. Here is a fact, in a gun fight, no one is going to stand there like a target at a shooting range. So, there goes the argument for a .45 when you can only put 7-10 rounds in most traditional 1911. Same capacity issues for the .40. The final fact is this unless your wild bill Hickock with a gun and get a head shot or heart shot In One shot, your going to need multiple rounds. In a gun fight, most people are stopped by the lose of blood not by a single shot to a vital organ. I would rather take my chances with 16-18 rounds that have little kick than try to fight back with 8-10 short range, high muzzle flip guns. That does not mean I dislike the .45. As I love my 1911. Plus, the military went with the 9 for the cost of ammo, capacity, reliability and ease of operation. Anyone who has ever had to tear down a 1911 knows that they will at some point launch the barrel bushing across the room. Just my thoughts. The M9 can be broke down with one hand. Some guy in the Corp had a desert eagle .50 cal hand gun. He made a great point. He said he couldn't hit **** with it. But it was so intimidating that he would fire it once then follow the poop trail and kill them with his 9mm .

Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #274

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Anyone who shoots their .45 a lot can get multiple shots on target with no problem. I will stick with my short range .45 and you can have your long range 9mm. BTW, I have shot at and hit targets at 100yrds with my 3.25'' barreled .45. You guys who shoot 9 and 40's rock on. Its all about personal preference and how well you handle what you shoot.
MaineMan Likes This 
Old 01-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #275

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love 1911 .45. For home defense, I typically keep my kimber pro carry crimson near by. It shoots dead balls on. I agree with you you that it comes down to personal preference. I wish I was a better shot with a pistol, but put a m4 or barret .50 in my hands and that story changes. So for me in a pistol fight, it will probably come down to capacity. My hat is off to you for your ability to hit long range with a .45.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #276

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
. . . . I will stick with my short range .45 and you can have your long range 9mm . . . .
long range 9mm?? Wha?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #277

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZfanatic View Post
Modern ballistics have sort rendered this issue mute. Here is a fact, in a gun fight, no one is going to stand there like a target at a shooting range. So, there goes the argument for a .45 when you can only put 7-10 rounds in most traditional 1911. Same capacity issues for the .40. The final fact is this unless your wild bill Hickock with a gun and get a head shot or heart shot In One shot, your going to need multiple rounds. In a gun fight, most people are stopped by the lose of blood not by a single shot to a vital organ. I would rather take my chances with 16-18 rounds that have little kick than try to fight back with 8-10 short range, high muzzle flip guns. That does not mean I dislike the .45. As I love my 1911. Plus, the military went with the 9 for the cost of ammo, capacity, reliability and ease of operation. Anyone who has ever had to tear down a 1911 knows that they will at some point launch the barrel bushing across the room. Just my thoughts. The M9 can be broke down with one hand. Some guy in the Corp had a desert eagle .50 cal hand gun. He made a great point. He said he couldn't hit **** with it. But it was so intimidating that he would fire it once then follow the poop trail and kill them with his 9mm .

I watched a documentary about John Browning, they stated in the program that Browning said before he died, "when I created the High Power I did everything I should have done with the 1911" evidently Browning thought the 45 to have more power than a regular citizen needed.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #278
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan
I watched a documentary about John Browning, they stated in the program that Browning said before he died, "when I created the High Power I did everything I should have done with the 1911" evidently Browning thought the 45 to have more power than a regular citizen needed.
I'm sure he may have felt that way in 1855. This is 2014. Ballistics technology and bullet manufacturing has had 159 years to improve.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #279

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The sad truth is, more people are killed every year in a violent confrontation by a .22 than any other round. I know, it is because more criminals have a .22 and they are the most widely sold caliber. Just saying, most people in a gun fight bleed to death than are killed by a single fatal shot. Ballistics wise, the argument will continue to rage on. We now added .40 to the old 9mm verses .45. I tend to stick to what bama said. What ever makes your socks go up and down. Did any of read the article about the new sniper .50 cal? Apparently it has all of the tech in it except wind conditions to hit the gong on the first shot at 1k 70% of the time. It can be yours for the starting price of 22k. One of my buddies still in said the mil bought a few and are putting them through testing. So much for all the hard core training and washing out of these

Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #280

Liked 118 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
long range 9mm?? Wha?
That's what I was thinking. I can shoot just as accurately long range with a 1911 as I can with a 9mm as long as I take my time between shots. I carry a 9mm more than anything else but it certainly isn't for long range accuracy.

Newest Threads