Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   U.S. LE using 40 s&w (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/u-s-le-using-40-s-w-102023/)

jjones45 12-26-2013 11:57 PM

U.S. LE using 40 s&w

Most of the worlds law enforcement and military use 9mm handguns as their sidearms. Why is it that U.S. LE is dominated so much by the 40 cal.? Do we have tougher criminals that need more powerful rounds to bring down or drug addicts that can take rounds to the body like tony montana before they fall? I personally trust anything 9mm and bigger but was just wondering why the world trust 9mm and the U.S. Doesn't.

SSGN_Doc 12-27-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones45 (Post 1467834)
Most of the worlds law enforcement and military use 9mm handguns as their sidearms. Why is it that U.S. LE is dominated so much by the 40 cal.? Do we have tougher criminals that need more powerful rounds to bring down or drug addicts that can take rounds to the body like tony montana before they fall? I personally trust anything 9mm and bigger but was just wondering why the world trust 9mm and the U.S. Doesn't.

We have a gun culture that the rest of the world doesn't have. the .40 was also pretty much developed to be maketed toward LE agencies. So gun manufacturers and ammo manufacturers helped push the caliber out there. Smith and Wesson was the pedominant LE gun supplier in the US at the time the .40 S&W was coming out. thye helped develop the round, they made platforms chambered in it. In order to get thier investment back, they pushed it along with the guns and the technical support to the agencies.

This also followed a lot of research by the FBI on standards for penetration, barrier penetration, etc. after the Miami shootout, and their subsequent adoption of the 10mm round. Then they found that the guns were big in the grip for a lot of smaller handed agents, and had a bit more power than they even needed. So their "need" for a smaller and reduced power version of the 10mm was helped out by Smith and Wesson. Once the FBI endorsed it, the .40 became the US law enforcement standard.

c3shooter 12-27-2013 12:11 AM

Because in WW 2, the losers used 9mm.

:p:D;):):rolleyes:

Sniper03 12-27-2013 12:16 AM

Because it is a proven fact the 40 cal. S&W round has more of an effect in actual shootings regarding trama force on target. And is closer to the effects produced by the 45 ACP round which with new ammunition is an excellent man stopper. Not that the 9mm is an ineffective round becuase great improvements have been made in recent years with quality self defense and duty ammunition it is a much better round. Most European LE are still using FMJ rounds. So it boils down to what a person likes best regarding caliber for the purpose of the weapon. The 9mm is best for competition due to the fact of a rapid recovery and target acquisition. And with the newer ammunition fine for defense. But I have carried both and observed the results. After almost 30 years of LE/ SWAT and trainer I also prefer the 40 over the 9mm for duty issue. Years ago we carried the 357 Mag which was superior rounnd. But unavailable in a semi auto pistol for duty.

Mercator 12-27-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones45 (Post 1467834)

The difference is cultural. American LEO and SD calibers have always been larger than the European counterparts. But there is a rationale. American cops are more in danger of being outgunned, because they deal with a much better armed population.

The 40S&W is a bridge between the higher velocity, smaller size 9mm and the slower, heavier 45ACP. It also allows to place more "stopping power" in a smaller shooter's hand, such as female officers.

robocop10mm 12-27-2013 12:47 AM

And most people in the world live under the poverty line. Should all Americans then live thus?

Seriously, most of the world's LEO's live in strict gun control countries. They are not faced with armed goblins nearly as often. To the Europeans and Asians, a handgun on the hip is more of s symbol of authority than an actual tool.

WillWork4Ammo 12-27-2013 01:37 AM

Mexico doesn't allow anything larger than .380

JonM 12-27-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1467886)
And most people in the world live under the poverty line. Should all Americans then live thus?

Seriously, most of the world's LEO's live in strict gun control countries. They are not faced with armed goblins nearly as often. To the Europeans and Asians, a handgun on the hip is more of s symbol of authority than an actual tool.

Their lack of gun ownership is also why the rest of the world enjoys extremely high murder rape and robbery rates...

Police outside the usa in most places are I'll equipped to handle the goblins they face. Here we face the realities of violent crime and try and arm our police and most states have ccw to arm our citizenry.

Personally I think the 40sw is a weak sister of 9mm and 45acp. It doesn't have the effectiveness of a 45 while having harsher muzzle flip than the 9mm or 45. Put the 40sw back into its original concept and its a whole other animal.

indy36 12-27-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo
Mexico doesn't allow anything larger than .380

I don't believe that to be true. I thought it was the .38 Super Auto. This is the largest you can legally own in Mexico, which is why the cartels murder so many people with them. It is a 'non-military' round, thus you can own that in Mexico.

glocknloaded 12-27-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indy36 (Post 1467996)
I don't believe that to be true. I thought it was the .38 Super Auto. This is the largest you can legally own in Mexico, which is why the cartels murder so many people with them. It is a 'non-military' round, thus you can own that in Mexico.

Really? I would assume cartels would use what ever they can get. I'm sure most of their weaponry is imported and illegal in Mexico.