TulAmmo???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > TulAmmo???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default TulAmmo???

Steel cased, the 9mm 115gr runs great for me. Was shooting Federal and Winchester as well, but the TulAmmo was very accurate. How much wear can steel cased ammo do to my Glock? Heard its not best idea to shoot steel cased - thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Default Urban Legend

I shoot WPA steel xase 9mm all the time, no worries. I also shoot WPA and Wolf (actually I think Wolf makes WPA) in my AR too.

Got a RIA Tactical 9mm on order just so I can shoot a 1911 for $8 for 50 rounds.

Just clean your pistol when it needs it, keep the moving parts oiled and you should be ready.

The stuff stored in spam cans may have a lacquer coating that can build up in the chamber. The steel case I have purchased "by the box" has not given me any problems due to lacquer.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I, too, am indecisive about Russian ammo. But with an AK 47 and the price of ammo I am leaning toward the purchase of Wolf 7.62x39 steel casing. AK's eat anything.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I don't trust Tullammo one bit. We have had countless light strikes on many pistols and barrel bulges when using them in two of our glocks. We had to discontinue using it for our upcoming All steel Tournament this weekend.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally will not run steel cased or aluminum cased ammo thru any of my weapons. I know people use a lot of it without any problems but I don't like the idea of steel against steel and brass was chosen for a reason. Brass has a natural lubricity to it, it expands and seals very well, it is much softer then the surrounding material so it will not damage the weapon, it is also reloadable which is important to me as a reloader.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #6

Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

From what I have learned about TulAmmo is that the lacquer problems of the past have been resolved and the steel casing is now a "softer" steel. Any steel casing will not be as hard as the barrel. Ditto for aluminum.

The biggest problem for steel is not the hardness tearing up your gun, but the potential for the steel shavings to muck up the works in a gun. Brass (and aluminum) will scar without shaving, whereas steel will shave off and those little particles can fall into the wrong places. So that reinforces the recommendation to clean your gun well after each use of any steel cased ammo.

Any bets this reply opens a can of worms?

Last edited by qwiksdraw; 08-25-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #7

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw
From what I have learned about TulAmmo is that the lacquer problems of the past have been resolved and the steel casing is now a "softer" steel. Any steel casing will not be as hard as the barrel. Ditto for aluminum.

The biggest problem for steel is not the hardness tearing up your gun, but the potential for the steel shavings to muck up the works in a gun. Brass (and aluminum) will scar without shaving, whereas steel will shave off and those little particles can fall into the wrong places. So that reinforces the recommendation to clean your gun well after each use of any steel cased ammo.

Any bets this reply opens a can of worm?
Makes sense to me lol just wanted experiences and opinions

Old 08-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
I will agree with you about the aluminum but the steel used to make firearms is not as hard as many believe. Firearms manufacturers are more interested in machinability for production.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5697 Times on 3221 Posts
Likes Given: 5106

Tulammo is good, cheaP practice ammo that will not harm your weapon in any way.

It's dirty, but you're supposed to clean your weapon anyway, so that really shouldn't matter.

The U.S, manufactured tens of millions of steel cased cartridges during WW2, with no problems whatsoever.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #10

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

I shoot the snot out of it and had no problems. Tula make shooting a little more affordable