Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Trying to Travel from JfK or Newark with a Gun is a nightmare, please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I have heard of folks shipping firearms to themselves in similar situations, but never bothered to learn the details of how to do it. I guess the big issue would be a destination address if you don't have friends or relatives that live there. You might research for an FFL at your destination that will help you out by receiving & holding it for you.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #12

You will wait for a Port Authority officer to come and look over everything. He'll walk with you to take your bag to TSA. Then when you ask about all the extra steps your going though he'll tell you it's New York State. Then drop his mouth when you tell him about the dozens of times you've flown out of Buffalo and all they had you do was sign the card.

This was in April at LGA.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1598 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevtrains View Post
You will wait for a Port Authority officer to come and look over everything. He'll walk with you to take your bag to TSA. Then when you ask about all the extra steps your going though he'll tell you it's New York State. Then drop his mouth when you tell him about the dozens of times you've flown out of Buffalo and all they had you do was sign the card.

NYS or NYC?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #14

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

yea travel thure nj set cruse control 2 mph below speed limit and pay you dont get pulled over they dont give a rats ass about the safe travel laws they will probley drop the charges after you spent a nigh or two in jail. and kiss you gun good buy it will cost you 10 times what its worth to get it back not to menchen getting you car out of the impound lot dont do it

Old 09-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #15

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevtrains View Post

This is correct (if there is a separate TSA security screen area -- sometimes it just goes on a conveyor belt and disappears behind a wall). Follow the TSA rules and I suggest a steel gun case that tethers to your luggage's frame internally -- hard or soft. Airport workers tried to bang and pry mine open and steal my gun last time I flew through New York.
caseside.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 09-28-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #16

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

He can buy the handgun at his destination and have it shipped to his local FFL. His local FFL will do the background check or what ever is required by his state of residence. How do you think online purchases work?

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/