Trying to Travel from JfK or Newark with a Gun is a nightmare, please help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Trying to Travel from JfK or Newark with a Gun is a nightmare, please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Trying to Travel from JfK or Newark with a Gun is a nightmare, please help

So I'm going on vacation and want to bring my pistol. I have a New York State permit, but it is not valid in NYC, if I try to declare it at JFK they will arrest me, I called, and port authority confirmed.

Newark is just as bad because nj requires a permit, and my ny permit is not valid, same story.

My thought was to buy one at my destination and keep it there. Thing is, I don't own a vacation home there, so where would you guys store it? Airport locker? Bank saftey deposit box? I think those are expensive.

Ffl one to myself? Any thoughts?

Please don't say "move to a free state".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #2

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Buy a Wilson Combat 1911 and take your vacation in Kentucky, I'll hold on to it for you.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't buy one and store it...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

1. Fly out of Philly?
2. Sorry, under Federal law, you can only buy a handgun in your state of residence.
3. What state are you vacationing in?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Federal Express?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

They will not arrest you. They WILL ask the police to come over. They, in turn, will check your license, check the gun, delay you, yell, make you sweat. Then send you on your flight per Federal law. In NY. Stay away from Jersey -- on a good day they are just mobsters.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:45 AM   #6

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Sir, I don't fly thru or even drive thru NJ for any reason because of their gun laws.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 AM   #7

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

nyc and nj will arrest you on the spot if you have a handgun with a 7year minum stay in prison ship you gun ups or fed x with out ammo pickup ammo localy then ship it home chuck the ammo dont forget to check the gun laws where your going
just call your hotel and let them know you are haveing a package shiped their not un commen with the bull s%$t airline baggage fees cheeper to ship then check on airline
p.s. airport lockers went away with the doto bird after 9-11

Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

As an ex-NYer born and raised in the city I will say one thing: They will arrest you on the spot. Period. The process of arrest brings revenue either way you look at it. And you will pay.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #9

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
They will not arrest you. They WILL ask the police to come over. They, in turn, will check your license, check the gun, delay you, yell, make you sweat. Then send you on your flight per Federal law. In NY. Stay away from Jersey -- on a good day they are just mobsters.
NJ will not automatically arrest you for declaring a properly cased firearm at the airline counter. If you stop for lunch before checking the firearm that's a different story. Keeping within the safe passage transport laws is a challenge in NJ but it can be done...you just need to be careful. But I agree, avoid the hassle if you can.

I am assuming you are "transporting a handgun." If you are saying you want to carry it in the airport then I agree...don't even consider it, you will go to jail.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 09-27-2012 at 03:40 AM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
1. Fly out of Philly?
2. Sorry, under Federal law, you can only buy a handgun in your state of residence.
3. What state are you vacationing in?
I'm addressing "2" in your reply. You can purchase a handgun in any state in the US that will allow the sale to a non-resident. You cannot take delivery. Your purchase must be shipped to an FFL in your state of residence in order to comply with your state laws.