Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Trying to Travel from JfK or Newark with a Gun is a nightmare, please help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/trying-travel-jfk-newark-gun-nightmare-please-help-73199/)

TheNYResistance 09-26-2012 08:20 AM

Trying to Travel from JfK or Newark with a Gun is a nightmare, please help

So I'm going on vacation and want to bring my pistol. I have a New York State permit, but it is not valid in NYC, if I try to declare it at JFK they will arrest me, I called, and port authority confirmed.

Newark is just as bad because nj requires a permit, and my ny permit is not valid, same story.

My thought was to buy one at my destination and keep it there. Thing is, I don't own a vacation home there, so where would you guys store it? Airport locker? Bank saftey deposit box? I think those are expensive.

Ffl one to myself? Any thoughts?

Please don't say "move to a free state".

sputnik1988 09-26-2012 08:44 AM

Buy a Wilson Combat 1911 and take your vacation in Kentucky, I'll hold on to it for you.;)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't buy one and store it...

c3shooter 09-26-2012 10:21 AM

1. Fly out of Philly?
2. Sorry, under Federal law, you can only buy a handgun in your state of residence.
3. What state are you vacationing in?

Vincine 09-26-2012 03:17 PM

Federal Express?

HockaLouis 09-27-2012 01:20 AM

They will not arrest you. They WILL ask the police to come over. They, in turn, will check your license, check the gun, delay you, yell, make you sweat. Then send you on your flight per Federal law. In NY. Stay away from Jersey -- on a good day they are just mobsters.

chuckusaret 09-27-2012 02:45 AM

Sir, I don't fly thru or even drive thru NJ for any reason because of their gun laws.

robertusa123 09-27-2012 02:50 AM

nyc and nj will arrest you on the spot if you have a handgun with a 7year minum stay in prison ship you gun ups or fed x with out ammo pickup ammo localy then ship it home chuck the ammo dont forget to check the gun laws where your going
just call your hotel and let them know you are haveing a package shiped their not un commen with the bull s%$t airline baggage fees cheeper to ship then check on airline
p.s. airport lockers went away with the doto bird after 9-11

PanBaccha 09-27-2012 03:32 AM

As an ex-NYer born and raised in the city I will say one thing: They will arrest you on the spot. Period. The process of arrest brings revenue either way you look at it. And you will pay.

Jpyle 09-27-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 955830)
They will not arrest you. They WILL ask the police to come over. They, in turn, will check your license, check the gun, delay you, yell, make you sweat. Then send you on your flight per Federal law. In NY. Stay away from Jersey -- on a good day they are just mobsters.

NJ will not automatically arrest you for declaring a properly cased firearm at the airline counter. If you stop for lunch before checking the firearm that's a different story. Keeping within the safe passage transport laws is a challenge in NJ but it can be done...you just need to be careful. But I agree, avoid the hassle if you can.

I am assuming you are "transporting a handgun." If you are saying you want to carry it in the airport then I agree...don't even consider it, you will go to jail.

Doc3402 09-27-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 955037)
1. Fly out of Philly?
2. Sorry, under Federal law, you can only buy a handgun in your state of residence.
3. What state are you vacationing in?

I'm addressing "2" in your reply. You can purchase a handgun in any state in the US that will allow the sale to a non-resident. You cannot take delivery. Your purchase must be shipped to an FFL in your state of residence in order to comply with your state laws.