Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Trying to narrow it down.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

So I'm gonna make another handgun purchase here in the next few weeks and I'm trying to really still decide which one i want. I'm kind of trying to stay on a budget.
Im thinking about a Taurus PT740 or the like in that price range. I also was looking at a Walther PPS or a XD but don't really wanna spend over $500.
Any other suggestions? All my previous handguns have all been 9mms (glock 19, 26, PF9, ruger P95) and want to get into a different caliber.
Thanks!

Last edited by NickFroelich; 09-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Spend more taurus less

Married 27 years---I'm starting to think it might work out.
Second Generation N R A Life Member

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 08-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6669 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 5757

Not sure what other if any guns ya have, but I would get a nice bolt action rifle, or a revolver for something different instead of the same ol, same ol.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 455 Times on 283 Posts

What caliber are you looking to get that should be the question .
Second does the gun you are looking at fit your hands and do you like it enough to spend your money on, that you will not have buyers remorse.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 08-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3584 Times on 2232 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFroelich
So I'm gonna make another handgun purchase here in the next few weeks and I'm trying to really still decide which one i want. I'm kind of trying to stay on a budget.
Im thinking about a Taurus PT740 or the like in that price range. I also was looking at a Walther PPS or a XDM but don't really wanna spend over $500.
Any other suggestions? All my previous handguns have all been 9mms (glock 19, 26, PF9, ruger P95) and want to get into a different caliber.
Thanks!
Go to a gunstore and hold many different guns until you find a couple that really fit your hand well, in the caliber you like.

Then rent those couple guns and see which you shoot the best.

Buy said gun.

Now that the cookie-cutter post is out of the way, I say go for a .357 Magnum Revolver. If money is your concern Taurus makes decently priced wheel guns and they offer a lifetime warranty.

Alternatively, if you want slightly better quality, there are usually nice Ruger and/or S&W wheel guns showing up on the used market. S&W also offers a lifetime warranty. I'm less familiar with Ruger, but I've read they stand by their guns.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 08-28-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
Not sure what other if any guns ya have, but I would get a nice bolt action rifle, or a revolver for something different instead of the same ol, same ol.
I listed them in my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Go to a gunstore and hold many different guns until you find a couple that really fit your hand well, in the caliber you like.

Then rent those couple guns and see which you shoot the best.

Buy said gun.

Now that the cookie-cutter post is out of the way, I say go for a .357 Magnum Revolver. If money is your concern Taurus makes decently priced wheel guns and they offer a lifetime warranty.

Alternatively, if you want slightly better quality, there are usually nice Ruger and/or S&W wheel guns showing up on the used market. S&W also offers a lifetime warranty. I'm less familiar with Ruger, but I've read they stand by their guns.
Not really looking for a revolver. I've owned a couple already and sold them pretty soon after.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFroelich

I listed them in my original post.

Not really looking for a revolver. I've owned a couple already and sold them pretty soon after.
Well the rest of my post still stands.

For what its worth, I like the M&P line a lot. They fit my hand better than any other handgun.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

There is something to be said about keeping with the same caliber.

When the next ammo shortage comes along, I would like to keep ammo for all my guns. And not be limited to the few that I can scrounge ammo for.

What do you intend to do with this future purchase? Sport, self-defense, plinking? How about aftermarket accessories? How about warranty repairs? Isn't the Walther PPS almost the same as the S&W M&P?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 08-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #9

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Why not look at a cz75 variant or a 1911

Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
There is something to be said about keeping with the same caliber.

When the next ammo shortage comes along, I would like to keep ammo for all my guns. And not be limited to the few that I can scrounge ammo for.
There's also something to be said for diversifying calibers. When the next ammo crisis happens, and all someone can find is .40 S&W, I bet he'd be happy he has that gun chambered in .40 S&W.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This