Trying to Find
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Trying to Find

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trying to Find

Hey im trying to build my own handgun, probably a 1911 type, but not entirely sure. havent found anywhere to even begin to purchase parts or kits or anything. can anyone point me in the right direction?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

1. Welcome to the Forum

2. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=build+your+own+1911+pistol&aq=2&oq=Build+your+own+1911
Brownell's and parts places like that stock most of the stuff you need to do it yourself.

I would recommend getting a 1911 book before you do anything however.

JD

Old 12-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

you could also try scattergun technologies. they have parts from a-z, pricey but worth it imho

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Shotgun News

Old 12-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First-be aware that you'll still have to fill out the same paperwork when you purchase frame that you would complete gun,as that counts exactly same as buying a whole firearm. Secondly,like dillinger said-get a very detailed and complete manual with PLENTY of pictures,on building 1911 and even dvd if neccesary,study them until you almost have them memorized. Only then should you choose a complete parts kit which incluse everything but frame. There's a bewildering array of parts kits on the market,so get the best you can find,by a known maker/brand to ensure quality parts. www.brownells.com is the company which I've dealt with for years.
You'll also need a few basic tools-that's where the manual/book/dvd will help you. A prime example is plunger tube-try to choose frame with plunger tube already staked in as I've had several people walk in my shop wanting this done as they,as beginners,found this step too difficult to do themselves. You'll need the exact tool to stake plunger tube.
Another consideration is fit. Hand precision fitting is best left to professional gunsmith,armourer,or someone inimately familiar with building/fitting 1911s. Yes,it will shoot just fine without hand fitting/adjusting to eliminate tolerances,but you'll never acchive the level of accuracy it's capable of.
Also,choose the parts kit which include the exact type of parts you 'll want such as which grips,grip safety,safety,slide stop,sights,etc so that you won't have to buy certain parts twice in order to get exactly what you want.
I'm not trying to scare you or add confusion,just attempting to help you make intelligent choices in order to wind up with THE exact pistol you want,in addition to spending extra money for parts you'll never use. Any questions or advise you need along the way,we'll be delighted to help. I'm SURE I missed a lot of points in trying to be generalized so other people can help pitch in. We all have our own preferences on brand/type/model/parts so I'll not get into that part as almost all my customers want different things.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 on Shogunnews. Ajax used to be my number one 1911 parts supplier. I think they quit several lines of items since then. Brownells, or Midway should be able to help though.