Tricks up your sleeve? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Tricks up your sleeve?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2357 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Get some snap caps and a laser for your revolver. You can practice at home with the snap caps. The laser should be aligned with your sights at the distance you will be practicing at. Tape a target to safe wall or pick a safe object to aim at. The laser will immediately let you know if you moved when you squeezed the trigger. Nobody is watching except you.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7778 Times on 4669 Posts
Likes Given: 9751

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Get some snap caps and a laser for your revolver. You can practice at home with the snap caps. The laser should be aligned with your sights at the distance you will be practicing at. Tape a target to safe wall or pick a safe object to aim at. The laser will immediately let you know if you moved when you squeezed the trigger. Nobody is watching except you.
Probably a good suggestion and I can't speak for Yvette, but I, myself, would have no clue how to install the laser let alone how to align it with my sights. If someone could help her with that, it might be a great suggestion I never thought of.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2357 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 677

I have a Crimson Trace LG111 on my SP101. It is a replacement grip with the laser built in. CT makes laser grips or frame mount lasers for a lot of different guns. They are quality and not cheap. I believe they have a sale on their website. I am planing on installing CT lasers on mine and my wifes SR9cs.
Crimson Trace Laser - Sight Grips - FREE SHIPPING ON ALL PRODUCTS!

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:09 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

dont they have lasers that you can put in the camber and come out the barrel?

besides all the good advice given above... i found that going to the range more often rather than longer helped and is helping me. it keeps me from making it such a big event. ask lots of the same questions to different people when you can. (i guess that is also us too) "aim small miss small" and good luck

Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #15

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Yep. What Jon said. If you can, go shoot in the woods or on a friends property. Toss out a soda can and shoot at it one handed using the front site. You can make it dance. Then try it offhand.
Much more realistic than trying to bullseye paper.
Remember Redford in Butch Cassidy when they were in South America applying for the job as payroll guards..."can I move?".

Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #16

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to the FTF Yvette.

It's possible you are gripping the gun to tight and when you pull the trigger you are pushing the gun forward sort of "helping it shoot". When the shot goes off it should be kind of a surprise to you. Everyone else who posted had good tips to try. With practice you'll get better and it won't be an issue.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #17

Default Thank you guys so much!

I love all the advice! I go to the range with some people from work and I think we are headed there tonight....so I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm going to try my friend's custom-made 38super! I dry fired it this morning and it seems to be a really light, smooth trigger, which I love.

I have gone out to a friend's property to shoot and it was so relaxing that I did great. I think I just psyche myself out when I feel pressure. I like the idea of going to the range early....

I am gripping too tight. I feel it. I was the same with taking notes in school...I have strong hands though!

And I do shoot with very experienced and excellent marksmen. They help me out a lot but it's nice to get other opinions too. So thanks to everyone!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #18

For the stage fright thing you might try this old public speaking aid. Temporarily imagine everyone in the room, except you, is in the nude! Also tell yourself you know for a fact that their combined incomes is only a tenth of yours and that they all have bad breath. Under these conditions why would you really care what they thought about anything!?? The pressure is removed!! Attitude can be a good thing!

On the shooting part, a great old trick is to have a friend load your weapon with only one round -- or not. They do it with your back turned so when you squeeze the trigger it might go bang or just click, you don't know whats gonna happen! Focus on just the weapon, see what happens when it only clicks, repeat this a few times every range trip. You might notice some very bad habits that require attention, when you are not distracted by the muzzle blast and recoil.

Like people said, practice makes you better. Its kinda like backing up a car trailer, if you have to think about it, that ain't good. Eventually it all becomes second nature and you'll even impress yourself like you did with the rifle.

PS - Welcome to the forum! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 03-11-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelingg erer!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There are a number of books that may help as well.

I came across this one a couple years ago and the author does a good job of explaining all the important fundamentals in depth. After applying what I read at range my groups tightened up substantially.

Amazon.com: Crucial Elements of Police Firearms Training: Refine Your Firearms Skills, Training and Effectiveness (9781932777307): Brian Johnson, Brian R. Johnson: Books

As others have mentioned as well, just stay calm, concentrate and don't worry about everyone else judging your performance.

Oh yeah...and beware of the annoying "Mr. Cool Range Expert Guy"......every range has one if not more.