Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Tricks up your sleeve?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tricks up your sleeve?

Hi,

I'm pretty new to shooting. Been going to local range for around a year now. Gotten a bit better, but somedays it's like my first time. I really crack under pressure... severe stage freight I guess. I hate it when people watch me shoot. Anyway, I really need tips, hints to calm down and take my time. Maybe some sort of mental trick. Nothing has worked so far....just reminding me to calm down definitely does not work!

Oh.....I like bigger guns...I feel I can steady myself better with them. I'm a pretty small frame girl...120? Anyway started out with a 22 and I was all over the place. The bigger the gun the more I could calm my hands down and not jerk the trigger so much. I have a 357 6" barrel now that I LOVE! But I still have a lot of trouble. The first time I shot a rifle, it really calmed me down....sitting and waiting. I loved it! Shot an AR15 well at 200yards...best shooting I've done.

Anyway, any help would be amazing!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

get your 22 out but dont hang a target. just shoot. focus on pacing your firing by counting to 3 between shots. this takes the worry about grouping and sights and what not out of the picture and lets you focus on only one thing which is being calm while using the firearm. another thing is to load only 1 round shoot it then load another.

thats what i find works well when teaching new shooters that are having trouble with control.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

What he said. ^^^

So let me get this straight...you saying size does matter with you?

Welcome to the FTF Yvett. When ya get a chance could you stop by INTRODUCTIONS and say howdy to everyone, but it's your call.

I would recommend some one on one firearms training time with a certified instructor there at your range, if have someone available there. Breathing control, along with trigger control can easily be picked up with some dedicated practice, plus it will help some with the "stage fright."

There are dry-fire exercises that can done as well, to help with your control and aim.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #4

I would go to the range early or late so you have the range to yourself. Less worry about who's watching over your shoulder. Would calm your mind your not being judged on your marksmanship so you could can concentrate on the important stuff.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I tend to shake a lot when I shoot, and when I am shooting my Howa it is magnified in the scope. To help I close my eyes and take a few breaths slowly, and think of something not stressful like smelling a rose. Then I open my eyes get my sight picture inhale and exhale half way hold by breathing and squeeze the trigger.

I go to the range very early in the morning so I avoid the crowds of people that make me nervous

Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Concentrate on the four parts:
sight alignment
breath control
trigger
follow through.

Follow through is releasing the trigger at the same rate you squeezed it. Releasing the trigger too fast will upset your shot.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #7

Default Welcome

yvette: Ma'am, Welcome from ''Mecklenburg'' NC

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome Yvette! Everyone was a novice at one time, unless they were born with a gun in hand like some of our members. Don't worry about the others at the range. Learn good safety practices and practice, practice, practice. A few hours every other week with a good instructor mixed into your range time is invaluable.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community Yvette.

Winds of Change should be by in a while and she shoots a .357 Magnum. In fact, she just posted a range report.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6957 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8363

Here I am!!

Yvette, I think most people at the range aren't really 'watching you'. I believe most are concentrating on their own shooting. I, too, am shooting a .357 6" barrel Ruger GP100. Before I ever went to the range I bought snap caps and practiced at home just squeezing the trigger, looking through the sights. It also might help you to go shooting with someone with lots of experience and listen intently to what they have to tell you. Somethings you can't learn on your own, you have to be shown.

I just shot a Ruger Mark II yesterday and I really liked it. I liked it because it was light and easy to shoot. What I would maybe suggest is to practice on one gun for now until you feel confident with it.

The words of wisdom that always helped me was 'everyone was new to guns at some time'. Believe me, no one is judging you at the range. Just go, concentrate on your gun, the sights and the target and you'll forget about the others there.

I am pretty new to guns and have loads and loads to learn but I like to shoot and have fun doing it. If I can help you in any way, please let me know. I probably can't teach you much but I'd love to learn right along with you.