Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Traveling from Arizona to Vegas with a gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Traveling from Arizona to Vegas with a gun

Sorry if this is in the wrong section..not really sure where to post. I have browsed the forums for a while looking for my answer but have yet to find it

My husband & I will be driving from northern Az to Las Vegas and then returning to Az in late March, I have searched online but haven't been able to find an answer to my question...we are wondering if it would be legal for us to take our 1911 with us up to Vegas. Was hoping someone here could possibly point me in the right direction to figure this out. Thanks so much to anyone who can help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Can't quote the law off the top of my head but basically you are allowed to transport your gun from state to state. The question is where and how it must be stored and that is up the each state. Also, what you can do with your gun while in that state can differ - some are drive through with no stops only (usually in very restrictive states). You may have to unload and separate gun and ammo, maybe not. The gun may have to be stored outside the passenger compartment, maybe not. We have some folks from Vegas here and I'm sure one of them will be along soon to provide specifics. BTW, do y'all have carry permits? (I know AZ is now constitutional carry now but I thought I'd ask)...

Also, you'll find a lot of good info at: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Last edited by NGIB; 03-02-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Rachel, I found this from a google search, it didn't have a lot of info re: transporting however it's a start. You might also google both Arizona and Nevada gun laws. The statutes should explain the laws.

Also, if you like what you see on the forum and you might hang out with us, go to the intro section and let us know a bit about you. Have fun and be safe on your trip.

Nevada Concealed Carry CCW Laws and Information/from concealedcarry.com

Right-To-Carry Law Type: Shall Issue. Nevada has no law prohibiting open carry. Consequently, open carry is allowed insofar as it is not prohibited. There are conditions. For instance, Clark County requires all County residents to register their handguns. Although the law does not require you to carry your blue gun registration card, it may be advisable to do so. Some cities such as North Las Vegas and Boulder City have "deadly weapon" laws, and you could be cited or arrested if you pass through their jurisdictions with a firearm in your vehicle. State law appears to supersede those local ordinances but we hear they’re still being enforced on the street. You must have a valid permit to carry concealed. The make model and caliber of each semi-automatic is to be listed on the permit, whereas all revolvers and derringers are generically listed. An individual may an unlimited number of weapons listed on their permit.

Please check our Forum section for Nevada. More specific informaiton is being updated by VegasGeorge as the Moderator.

Nevada Constitution provides for gun ownership

Proud Sponsor of the NV Law Page

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Found this also,

Handgunlaw.us 18

Nevada law is silent on carrying firearms in vehicles. They do have a law against carrying loaded long guns in vehicles. But no law against handguns.

NRS 503.165 Carrying Loaded Rifle or Shotgun in or on Vehicle on or Along Public Way Unlawful; Exceptions.

1. It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in or on any vehicle which is standing on or along, or is being driven on or along, any public highway or any other way open to the public.
2. A rifle or shotgun is loaded, for the purposes of this section, when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber, but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.
Nevada did amend their law to override local ordinances and that they must go by state law.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.