Transporting Handguns

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Transporting Handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Transporting Handguns

I currently live in New Mexico where the handgun laws aren't that strict. I own three handguns, however in a couple of months I will be getting out of the military and moving home to Upstate New York. I am in the process of getting a pistol permit in New York, but it takes awhile and I will not have it by the time I move home. I plan on keeping them with my uncle who has a permit. The question is can I drive home with my handguns without getting in trouble?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #2

Gun laws are strict...you would be better off having the guns shipped to NY via FFL...you dont wanna be pulled over w/ a gun in a state that does not honor your CCW..if you have one...if you dont have one, you definatley dont wanna get caught w/a gun in your car.

Glock 23
Smith & Wesson New 520
Taurus 651
Taurus PT92

Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lu View Post
Gun laws are strict...you would be better off having the guns shipped to NY via FFL...you dont wanna be pulled over w/ a gun in a state that does not honor your CCW..if you have one...if you dont have one, you definatley dont wanna get caught w/a gun in your car.
Not so.
Check out the Firearm Owner's Protection Act, signed into law 1986, designed to protect firearm owners from various state laws while traveling.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved