Transporting guns - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Transporting guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

SOME states give Vermont residents the courtesy of assuming you have the equivalent of a CCW- link: CCRKBA :: CCW Reciprocity Guide Your Vermont Driver's license IS what you need.

DO NOT CARRY handgun in the glovebox if you are not legal in that state. When stopped, and asked for your registration and insurance card, well, its in the glovebox. The Federal Law I gave you the link to earlier says NOT IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT (unless you have no trunk, then in a locked case)

Old 05-22-2009, 03:53 AM   #12

thanks, more good info!

Looks pretty clear cut. Carry in VT, don't carry anywhere else.

One more question, since you mentioned traffic stops. Whats the best procedure. Leave the gun where ever it is, and just tell the cop you DO have one (with your hands in clear sight)?

I know a couple guys in NC who make sure the gun is sitting on the dash when the cop walks up, so he can see it (no surprises), but I could see that going the other way where the cop thinks you're pulling a gun on him if you have one in your hand as they approach the car.

Thanks again, youve been a big help.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #13

My CCW instructor referred to the "Peaceable Journey Act." In quick summary, this is a federal law which allows any gun owner to transport a firearm, any firearm, thorugh any state. The federal law trumps any state law. However, the law is designed to allow you to continue on your way through a state, not to stop in that state. So if you have to stop overnight in a gun-unfriendly state (like Illinois), I'm not sure if you might have problems from local law enforcement should they find a gun in your hotel room for example.

In order to be covered under the Peaceable Journey Act, it's my understanding that you need to have your firearm unloaded and locked in a container away from any ammo. Your glovebox and center console do not count, which doesn't make any sense, but it's the law. You then need to have any ammo locked in a separate container somewhere away from your firearm. If you follow these rules, and tell any law enforcement that you are just travelling through, it's my understanding that you shouldn't have any problems.

I live in St. Loiuis and travel through Illinois a lot. Any time I get close to the Illinois border, I have to stop and follow these procedures. I don't know the exact federal statute, but it looks like it's been offered in this tread already. I hope that helps.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #14

I understand now how traveling thru states works. The problem would be that the only state I'd be traveling TO would be NY. A giant pit of despair, very unfriendly to carry, concealed or not.

My last question was meant more like, what would I do in a traffic stop in my home state of Vermont where I can carry legally. Just let the officer know i have a gun on me?

Old 05-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #15
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I live in WA and when pulled over I hand my consealed pistol license along with the other documents requested, I tell the officer that I am armed and have a consealed pistol license and it's with the documents he requested. It takes the surprise out of the traffic stop if I am asked to get out of my ride. In most cases the officer with either say nothing or ask where my firearm is and ask that I keep my hands on the steering wheel (where you should always keep your hands in a trafic stop until asked for your documents). Only once in 10+ years has an officer asked me to hand him the firearm and he put it ontop my car while he ran my information.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #16

The part about handing over the carry permit doesn't really apply, but you've pretty much answered my question. Just let them know you have it, and keep your hands in the clear.

Thanks again. You guys have been a big help.