Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Transporting guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Transporting guns

What are the laws about driving guns across state lines? I have family in FL and I'd be driving through GA and SC from NC.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Every state is different. GENERALLY under the "safe passage" law you can transport if they are unloaded, separated from ammo, and in a separate compartment (eg trunk) in a case. But every state is different. Some are very liberal in the application of it, so check with each state individually to be sure. You will be better off than those that travel in the northeast, I can tell you that for sure!
Check the laws.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #3

Likes Given: 1

This link should give you all the information you will need

"]http://www.handgunlaw.us/"]

Just click on the state you start from or have your permit in

Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #4

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

If you do not HAVE a concealed weapons permit, and are looking at transporting THROUGH states, there is a Federal Law that trumps state law. You are allowed to transport them unloaded, and locked in the trunk. Link:US CODE: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #5

I'm a first time handgun owner in Vermont, where no licensing/permits are required for ANYTHING.

I take it traveling THROUGH states is covered, but your final destination... you're at the mercy of whatever their laws are, correct?

Does this mean I can't leave the oasis of Vermont with my shiny new Ruger?
With no proof (other than a VT drivers license) that I'm allowed to carry, concealed or not, I can't think how I would persuade a cop not to take my gun and throw me in jail from something as simple as a routine traffic stop.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:01 AM   #6

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 760

that must be nice...no permits are needed...i need to move to vermont...lol

as far as i know,here in N.C. being i have a CHP or even some of my friends and family that dont...when traveling in a motor vehicle,if stopped or coming into a license check...either throw the handgun on the dash...or somewhere in plain sight so the cop(s) see it...everytime i have seen this or heard this...the cop will do his thing for what ever reason your there in the first place and run the firearms SN. and when they hand it back to you ,they will more then likely give it back unloaded & say something like...( i dont like giving back a loaded weapon...you can load it down the road)...something like that...i've heard and seen it to many times...as for rifles?IDK?..crossing into diffrent states of course...your mileage will very...just when coming into NC stay away from gaston county!..the cops there really have nuttin better to do then fu#k with people..

Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #7

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by vague View Post
I'm a first time handgun owner in Vermont, where no licensing/permits are required for ANYTHING.

I take it traveling THROUGH states is covered, but your final destination... you're at the mercy of whatever their laws are, correct?

Does this mean I can't leave the oasis of Vermont with my shiny new Ruger?
With no proof (other than a VT drivers license) that I'm allowed to carry, concealed or not, I can't think how I would persuade a cop not to take my gun and throw me in jail from something as simple as a routine traffic stop.
Once you leave Vermont you will be illegal if carrying!

Get a Florida or Utah non-residence CCW license. You don't need one at home but will be covered in all states with reciprocity. (See the two sites below.)

You may want to check the wait time for Utah, Florida is jammed with requests and even working the weekends are not keeping up with the demand. >90 days

Go here for information:

Florida CCW License

Utah CCW License

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 05-15-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #8

good info, thanks!

Sad though, as most of my family is in NY.... I should probably just leave the Ruger at home when I cross back to NY to visit.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #9

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
You will be better off than those that travel in the northeast, I can tell you that for sure.
WTF? Is that some kind of dig at NYistan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vague View Post
I hate you!

If I recall correctly and you hold to the letter of the law I think it is almost impossible to transport a firearm in or through NY. From the information I researched the firearm cannot be loaded, the firearm and ammo must be in separate, locked containers and in separate, locked compartments of the vehicle.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 05-16-2009, 02:59 AM   #10

I believe you're right from all the bits of info I've heard in the past.

Best I could separate gun/ammo would be to put one in the glovebox. I drive a coupe, an Audi TT. Actually, the glovebox is so small, I bet I couldn't fit the gun in there.
NY is the reason I moved out of NY.