Trade in concerns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Trade in concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trade in concerns

I have a ruger gp100 revolver stainless with a 4" barrell in excellent condition it has maybe 700 rounds through it I don't use it anymore.

I also have a ruger P85 pistol also in excellent condition stainless with 3 clips that has 1000 rounds put through it and again I don't use it anymore.

what I would like to do is trade one of them them for a plinker, I was thinking a Walther p22 so I could get my boy out there plinking at our club range here in connecticut and the price of ammo wont kill me to go out a lot with him. so which gun would I be better off trading in without getting screwed. I have no idea on what the 2 rugers are worth now. I paid $300 for each of them a while ago.

eventually I'd also like to end up with a S&W MP.45 for myself but I have no clue at all on how much I should try to get to trade for a plinker and then a trade for the MP45 any thoughts would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Well, the best measure of what a gun WILL sell for, is what that gun IS selling for. I looked over on auctionarms.com, and gunbroker.com. A GP 100 seems to go for between $350-$400. Now, that is retail- on trade in expect that to be cut by 25-50% (dealer IS looking to make a profit)

You may check around, and see what you are offered AS A TRADE-IN- if too low, sell it, and buy what you want.

For a fun 22 plinker, you might look at the Ruger 22 autos.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you flat out SURE you want to sell 1 of them without later experiencing seller's remorse? I just picked up a Ruger 22/45 the other day for 239$.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #4

Yes I'm sure I want these gone. I can't afford to just go buy another gun and whats the sense of keeping the guns I don't shoot anymore it has been over 3 years I've taken the 357 or 9mm out to fire I keep them cleaned but thats the only time I look at them.

I bought a Kahr PM9 that I use alot and I carry it, I definitely prefer the smaller compact kahr over both the others I have although I'd like more rounds in the PM9. but as I said I want to get my oldest boy to the range with me so a plinker 22 would be perfect in size and the ammo is cheaper for us.

I will also look at the ruger 22 thanks for the suggestion I've only looked at the Walthers since I have friends that love theirs.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The gp100 expect about $250 trade in and about $400 for personal sell. The P85 expect about $200 trade in and $350 personal sell. For plinker for your son look at a PPK and for you...well you already picked out one of the best, I've had my S&W M&P 45 for almost two years and it is one of the best pistols I've ever shot. If you trtade both in at the same time to buy a good plinker for you son and a M&P for yourself the dealer may give you a bit more.