Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Trade??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/trade-33424/)

Gojubrian 10-23-2010 12:30 PM

Trade???

A guy wants to trade his SS Taurus PT1911 for my xd40sc.

Yes, no, maybe so???? :) :( :confused:

suprdave 10-23-2010 12:34 PM

I'd do it...

FreedomFighter69 10-23-2010 02:07 PM

No Way ! Now if it was a Springfield, ParaOrdinance, Sig Sauer, or Colt 45 I'd do it, but not the Taurus 1911. Your XD is actually a better quality gun than a Taurus 1911.
Don't do It ! Save your $$ and buy a Real 45 ACP like a Springfield, Sig, or Colt !!

Jpyle 10-23-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreedomFighter69 (Post 373081)
No Way ! Now if it was a Springfield, ParaOrdinance, Sig Sauer, or Colt 45 I'd do it, but not the Taurus 1911. Your XD is actually a better quality gun than a Taurus 1911.
Don't do It ! Save your $$ and buy a Real 45 ACP like a Springfield, Sig, or Colt !!

Gotta agree. Although the Taurus SS is a pretty piece, it is a hit or miss in terms of quality...you may get a winner or a dud. With the XD you know what you have...sell it for cash and buy a Springer 1911 or as Cane would say, "buy a Colt...only way to be sure." YMMV only my $.02 :D

CA357 10-23-2010 05:58 PM

I agree with Jpyle.

Dillinger 10-23-2010 06:08 PM

Can you shoot it? Perhaps field strip it?

We have a couple of PT 1911's come thru the shop and they worked and performed flawlessly when we took them out to the range ( one was for a customer's son returning from Iraq and he wanted some changes and one was for Brett's family member ).

I have heard the horror stories of the Taurus line of 1911's - I just haven't seen the MASSIVE problems with the units that others have. *shrug* Maybe the West Coast gets the first production runs since we are the furthest away from the factory. :p

Taurus went thru and redid their manufacturering facility a few years ago with state of the art CNC machines. Their tolerances got better and from what I have seen their pistols are very good.

Now, I am sure there are Friday afternoon produced crap in anyone's line and I am sure that some of the Taurus criticism is 100% warranted.

If you can shoot it and strip it, check it out for yourself, I say go for it. If you can't and it's a straight up trade with no rounds fired by either party, I say pass.

JD

lonyaeger 10-23-2010 06:21 PM

The Taurus 1911 in stainless was my first ever 1911. I was quite happy with it, but used it for trade fodder.

Gojubrian 10-23-2010 10:10 PM

The taurus is good to go and has tritium night sights.

Man.......this might be too good to pass up. :)

M14sRock 10-23-2010 10:21 PM

If you've tried it and it worked, why not? The Taurus 1911 is not on the CA list, so I have not bought one. But I asked a friend to buy one and try it out. He was impressed enough that he went back and bought another. And he is a fairly well off guy who can buy anything he wants.

First chance I get to buy a used one, I'll do it and see what all the fuss is about. If it is in spec, and takes other 1911 parts it'd be fine by me.

FreedomFighter69 10-24-2010 12:34 PM

I have nothing personal against Taurus guns, I own a second generation Millennium in 40 S&W, and have owned quite a few others in the past both revolvers and semi-auto's.
I just don't think the trade itself is worth it or fair. If he was offering a Glock model 30 that would be about the same range of quality. I don't blame the guy trading up the Taurus for the XD, he knows he's getting a heck of a deal, may even be snickering as well ! I just don't like to see people get ripped off that's all.