Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Took My Mom To The Range Today . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default Took My Mom To The Range Today . . .

So, my mom has been in town for around a week now. She has been talking about possibly getting a gun of some sort in her house for protection. My first thought is maybe a 20ga double barrel shotgun for simplicity's sake. Well we talk about it a lot and I decide to get out my wife's M&P9 and my S&W model 66, just to show her some basic handling and safety things.

We decided to go to the range tonight. Now, she hadn't really ever shot a handgun before today. She has shot some long guns in the past. She said the last time was when she was sixteen. So that was a number of years ago. I approached it as if she were completely novice to everything related to firearms (essentially, she was).

She did very well. She was very safe, and listened well to everything I said. We were just shooting some of my 9mm and .38 Special reloads. I load them all pretty mildly. Well she didn't really enjoy shooting the revolver. She said it was too heavy and she actually felt the recoil more. Well, that's understandable because it is .38 Special compared to 9mm, with the same size bullets. The .38 has a tad bit more powder behind it. I personally figured the weight of the .38 would make up for it, but I think what did it for her was the design of the gun. We all know semi-autos are built to reduce recoil slightly better.

So, she only shot a couple rounds through the revolver. No big deal. She shot about 30 or so 9mm, and at first was a little scared of it and actually took her support hand (left) off the gun when it recoiled. I corrected her and she stopped doing it after another shot or two. After she got in the hang of it, she did very well. After a magazine she said she wasn't scared of it anymore.

She seemed to have a really good time. I, of course, enjoyed taking her as well.

I know, I know. Some of you are gonna say "why didn't you start her on a .22?" Well, I thought about it. But honestly I thought she could handle the relatively mild recoil of the 9mm in my wife's full sized M&P. She did, too, because she simply listened to what I was telling her about how to hold the gun and this and that and the other.

Especially after tonight (but also before), I have absolutely no problem starting a new shooter on a full sized 9mm, as long as I think they're gonna listen very well. My mom did, and she had a great time, and is considering buying a handgun now. I of course explained the whole buying process. She wants to wait until I'm home to help her anyway, but she at least understands the process (hold a lot of guns first, rent some that feel the best, shoot it a couple times, then maybe buy it), so she wouldn't be lost if she had to do it on her own.

All things considered, was a very good night. [sorry for the long post ]

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Oh, and after we shot, I decided to hold a couple different guns. I held a Kahr PM9, and a Sig P238. I had never held either before and was curious about them. I actually liked the feel of them both, in slightly different ways. I personally don't care for the .380 (not trying to piss anyone off, I just prefer the 9mm - especially since you can nowadays find 9mms in extremely small packages, barely bigger than a lot of .380s), so I think if I would prefer the P938, if I could find one (for a pocket gun). The Kahr felt pretty nice, and I can see the appeal for it.

I'm not in the market to buy anytime soon, but I can definitely see the appeal to those guns.

Oh, I also held a Ruger LCR in .38 Special. I liked that too, although I prefer the S&W cylinder release. Good feeling little gun, though.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Neither of my parents are gun people but I got my mom to go with me once. at that time all I had was a .357 snubby and a 1911. She handled 38s pretty well. She tried the 45 once and didn't like it as I warned her she probably wouldn't. she understands why i carry and is Ok with it. my dad is against guns all together and doesn't feel anyone should be able to carry and guns should only be used for hunting. I think he's a list cause when it comes to firearms.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984
Neither of my parents are gun people but I got my mom to go with me once. at that time all I had was a .357 snubby and a 1911. She handled 38s pretty well. She tried the 45 once and didn't like it as I warned her she probably wouldn't. she understands why i carry and is Ok with it. my dad is against guns all together and doesn't feel anyone should be able to carry and guns should only be used for hunting. I think he's a list cause when it comes to firearms.
Interesting that your dad feels that way. I wonder why.

After you took your mom, did she shoot anymore on her own or with friends? My mom sounds like she might actually go several times before picking out the gun she wants to buy (a good thing, of course). I just hope she goes with the right people who will continue helping her with her technique.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

Interesting that your dad feels that way. I wonder why.

After you took your mom, did she shoot anymore on her own or with friends? My mom sounds like she might actually go several times before picking out the gun she wants to buy (a good thing, of course). I just hope she goes with the right people who will continue helping her with her technique.
dad's pretty liberal. He likes big government, obamacare, thinks anyone who carries is a vigilante out looking for trouble and believes everything the media tells him. I love him but I sure wish he could see what's goin on in the world for what it really is instead of what he's told it is.

mom hasn't shot since but id like to take her again sometime. That was a couple years ago. I'd like to take her again but it might be a while before I can go to the range myself cause my ears are still kinda screwed up and I'm worried about causing more damage before they fully heal. I've tried to talk her into getting a gun because she travels for work often, sometimes in not so great neighborhoods. She says she can't Tracy that quick and is afraid she would freeze in that crucial moment. And if that's the case then it's probably better she doesn't. It's definitely not for everyone. I got her a stun gun and she keeps that in her car

Last edited by jimogden1984; 10-05-2013 at 05:58 AM.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
dad's pretty liberal. He likes big government, obamacare, thinks anyone who carries is a vigilante out looking for trouble and believes everything the media tells him. I love him but I sure wish he could see what's goin on in the world for what it really is instead of what he's told it is. mom hasn't shot since but id like to take her again sometime. That was a couple years ago. I'd like to take her again but it might be a while before I can go to the range myself cause my ears are still kinda screwed up and I'm worried about causing more damage before they fully heal.
I can't imagine what it'd be like to have a very liberal parent. Both of mine are highly conservative. And guns are sort of in our blood. Despite my mom having not shot since she was sixteen, she grew up around guns and went hunting sometimes with her dad.

i hope your ears heal. Is it because of the priming incident at work? Anyway, I wish you the best and a speedy(er) recover.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

I can't imagine what it'd be like to have a very liberal parent. Both of mine are highly conservative. And guns are sort of in our blood. Despite my mom having not shot since she was sixteen, she grew up around guns and went hunting sometimes with her dad.

i hope your ears heal. Is it because of the priming incident at work? Anyway, I wish you the best and a speedy(er) recover.
it sucks... and the worst part is he's the typical liberal and when I say something he's against there is no talking about it, no changing his mind, and no listening to the other side of things haha.

and ya, it's the primers. It's a hell of a lot better but not there yet.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #8

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:

it sucks... and the worst part is he's the typical liberal and when I say something he's against there is no talking about it, no changing his mind, and no listening to the other side of things haha.

and ya, it's the primers. It's a hell of a lot better but not there yet.
You dad sounds like my mom. She has come around a little towards guns since we've bought several. But I mean a very little. As in she's not crapping her pants because there's a gun in the house. I tried having a conversation with her the other day about why gun free zones are fundamentally ridiculous and why people should be able to carry at work. It just turned into a mind numbing conversation of her refusing to understand why it should be okay, Especially since she works somewhere with the potential of a pissed off hot head coming in guns blazing.

She also refuses to go shooting and almost freaked out when I tried to show her how to operate our 9mm in case of emergency. She doesn't understand what it means to have something and not need it and to need something and not have it. She would rather be a victim than kill to protect herself and others. That bothers me, especially since I'll be leaving soon and my dad often works nights. I may try to get her to learn the very basics before I go.

I'm glad your mom isn't afraid of guns and it sounds like you had a nice outing.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have went back and forth with my mother for years about keeping a gun around. She used to keep a nightstand gun for years and all of a sudden she up and sells every gun in the house shortly after her husband died. She lives in a duplex with my brother but he has no idea how to use a gun and wont own one. I don't get along well with her but sure as hell don't want anything bad to happen to her. I don't understand the logic of either my brother or mother being their choice to live where they do. They keep saying to me "we've lived in the area for years and nothing as happened". Well, it has, they have been lucky to not be home when it did. but that don't matter

I'm glad you had a good range day with your Mom OP. This world is changing faster all the time and I do believe shooting is a good skill to posses in this day and age. I've only spent 50 years in this world but man it's so much different then the one I lived in as a child. And it was not all that safe then. AT least my kids seem more receptive to the idea that they are responsible for their own safety. I worry more about them and their children if/when they get to that point. It seems that the world changes faster every day, and not always for the better. Or maybe I'm just getting old and slow

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2490 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

JW - Glad to hear that your mother is thinking clearly about her personal responsibility for her own safety. I know this helps to put your mind at ease.

There is also the possibility of multi-generational family range time down the road. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous