Too Much Oil?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Too Much Oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Too Much Oil?

After my last trip to the range I may have used to much oil after cleaning my G30, I noticed since this is sometimes my carry gun. Any way the other day before putting it in it's holster I wanted to check the magazine and noticed that there was a bit of oil on the first round and on th sides of the mag. Is this bad?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #2

Probably not the best thing. Oil can get into the cartridge and could possibly compromise it's effectiveness.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default To Much Oil!

Hello all

RON L Here - Seresurplus

I'm gonna dis-agree strongly with the previous poster, while too much oil will not damage your hand gun or weapon, it will let grit and dirt accumulate and gum up the works, a "LIGHT" coat of oil on action parts is best and Not an OIL Bath! If it's Ozzing out all over, it's WAYYYYYY TOO MUCH! Wipe it all off and make sure it doesn't contact the catridges, as that may effect them, as the previous poster mentioned! Clean them well, carry them well and use them when ya must! In desert Conditions Like our Troops are seeing in Iraq and Afganistan. TOO MUCH OIL is the stuff of Nightmere's, Now I know we don't all fight in the desert, but too Much oil can make your day a rotten one, Hopefully only on the range and not on the street, where it counts?

RON

Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My experience (on any gun) has shown me that putting a small amount of oil on a patch or rag and then applying that to the part is better than dropping oil directly to the barrel or part and then wiping it off. It does not take much oil to lubricate and protect from rust. A small can of gun oil should last you quite a long time!

MarMac

Old 08-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #5

this should help:
http://www.glockmeister.com/glubric.shtml

Glock 23
Smith & Wesson New 520
Taurus 651
Taurus PT92